Bye bye ASBO, bye bye

Those affected by the crime...grandson of the old dear whose been burgled etc.

I'm not saying that's how it's going to be but if we're getting rid of red tape and asbos etc and getting back to community justice then the obvious point to start from is if you cause trouble in neighbourhood that neighbourhoods physically fit men kick the crap out of you and you learn not to mess about.

I don't think handing over the administration of justice to the local thugs and bullies is quiet what we're after.

Can imagine it now - person a mugs someone, gets a beating, the people who gave him a beating are then also criminals, so they get a beating...etc etc

Maybe the idea is that everyone becomes a criminal?

Now you are being silly.

Depends how they are organised....and by who.

The only people who are going to volunteer for this are precisely the sort of people who nobody in their right mind would let anywhere near it. I know the wanna be vigilantes in my neighbourhood (a pretty quiet one with very little crime) - in two minutes it would be a protection racket.

ASBO's are about to go into scrappage. Apparently they don't work.

Call me an old fashioned optimist if you will but with the figures given in your quote it would appear that nearly 50% of ASBOs weren't breached. In anyone's world, even that of the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade. nearly 50% in such a short time is an exceptional result.

If it ain't (completely) broke don't fix it.

Call me an old fashioned optimist if you will but with the figures given in your quote it would appear that nearly 50% of ASBOs weren't breached. In anyone's world, even that of the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade. nearly 50% in such a short time is an exceptional result.

If it ain't (completely) broke don't fix it.

Probably like you I'm a bit in two minds about this. I really don't like putting labels on people, especially when they are young. The work done by certain agencies to put people on the straight and narrow (eg Sheffield Futures) seems like a much better plan. By the same token there are others who need further action before jail.

So on balance pleased that they are going but I'd like to see what the full story is before deciding is the alternative is likely to be better.

ASBO's are about to go into scrappage. Apparently they don't work.

Your ideas for a replacement or is there another way that avoids criminalising huge numbers of people?

A short drop with a sudden stop.

The only people who are going to volunteer for this are precisely the sort of people who nobody in their right mind would let anywhere near it. I know the wanna be vigilantes in my neighbourhood (a pretty quiet one with very little crime) - in two minutes it would be a protection racket.

In fact the people willing to do the beatings will be the people who are most likely to be the ones who are breaking the law in the first place!

You two must live in really bad areas if you cant find anyone to do the job properly.

Archived