Ministry of defence to fund £20bn Trident upgrade

Who are "they"?

Nuclear weapons did not deter the 7/7 bombers.

They didn't even deter Argentina.

I would think it apparent, even to you, that "they" are any nuclear power which decides to attack us.

Nuclear weapons will not, nor were they ever meant to, deter terrorists.

Argentina didn't think that we would be daft enough to sail halfway round the world to even put up a fight over the Falklands because The Falklands are no more ours than was America, Australia etc. We just had a nasty habit of walking in anywhere we fancied and proclaiming it ours - a source of many troubles to us over the years (remember Northern Ireland)

We, of course, decided that Argentina was easy peasy so we surprised them - odd that we didn't do the same with China over Hong Kong!

I would think it apparent, even to you, that "they" are any nuclear power which decides to attack us.

Nuclear weapons will not, nor were they ever meant to, deter terrorists.

Argentina didn't think that we would be daft enough to sail halfway round the world to even put up a fight over the Falklands because The Falklands are no more ours than was America, Australia etc. We just had a nasty habit of walking in anywhere we fancied and proclaiming it ours - a source of many troubles to us over the years (remember Northern Ireland)

We, of course, decided that Argentina was easy peasy so we surprised them - odd that we didn't do the same with China over Hong Kong!

The agreed lease ran out. Odd that the Chinese didn't seize it earlier !

so one day we can get to fire them at iran....

And North Korea :nod::nod:

So if any little half arsed country takes a crack at us we can Tippex them off the map.

IE, Iran and North Korea

And don't give Israel the impression we are week or they'll be attacking us.

Israel are an allie like America not an enemy like Iran and North Korea.

The Iron Lady soon put them Argies back in their box though .

Never saw her leading the para's in on the newsreels I watched.

If a British Prime Minister (or King) had to lead the troops into battle, you can be quite sure we wouldn't be involved in any more wars.

In that case, we're back to the earlier question; how is it that so many European countries do not need a nuclear deterrent to prevent this outcome? And why are we (and France) the only exceptions?

I'm assuming nothing. I was responding to your argument about needing a nuclear deterrent against individuals and groups.

I never said that we needed a nuclear deterrent against individual and groups.

Quote my text if I'm wrong.

Archived