Need a 12 mile flattish route to run in prep for great north run

katemorgan

There's a circular route up the side of Ladybower reservoir from the Ashopton viaduct to the Derwent Dam, continuing all the way up to Howden Dam and round the top of Howden reservoir and back down the other side.

Its about 11 - 12 miles I think and is pretty flat (and gorgeous scenery). You can always add a few more miles by going around the other half of Ladybower (the left hand side as you look from the Ashopton viaduct on the way out of Sheffield).

You can park at either Heatherdeane (on Bamford turnoff from the A57) or Fairholmes (near the Derwent Dam). Buses go out that way too.

Hope that helps.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! :)

Finding a flat run round and about Sheffield is fairly tricky. Having said that, a run without hills is, IMO boring and you'll be a much better runner with some hills under your belt (even if your 20k run doesn't feature any hills).

I reckon a good run would be as follows:

Start from Hillsborough Park and run down Middlewood Road and turn on Holme Lane towards Malin Bridge. Then turn left onto Rivelin Valley Road. Although it looks flat, it isn't, yet should be easy enough - especially at such an early point in your run.

Then continue along the A57 past the Norfolk Arms and out towards Ladybower. This section is flatish but actually has a steady gradient up to Hollow Meadows. Then you've got a welcoming section of downhill towards Ladybower Reservoirs. I reckon by now you'll have run 9 or 10 miles. You can then turn left and I'd guess the 12 mile mark would be around Bamford.

It should be a stress-free run, not too many side roads to worry about, no pain from pedestrians and some glorious scenery to take your mind off the miles ahead.

I used to run to Hollow Meadows and back (from Nethergreen), a total distance of 10.2 miles, including the climb up Coldwell Lane - tough on the way back - and it used to take me 80 minutes.

Nowadays, suffice to say it would take longer.

I run around the Ladybower/derwent reservoirs quite often and it is probably one of the flattest routes you will find in the peak close to Sheffield.

If you park at the dam and run around the top two reservoirs (derwent and ashopton), this is around 11 miles.

It's always a little bit colder out there than it is in the city so remember to take the right gear.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions, the howden, derwent run was lovely as flat as you'll get in sheffield probably.

I did the suggested route round derwent and howden a couple of weeks ago and completed the great north run on sunday in 2h42, not a record breaker but I did manage to run the whole race albeit very slowly.

I raised over £400 for cancer research in the process.

is the GNR a full marathon distance? showing my ignorance here, but I'm sure it is, and that's a great time!

well done katemorgan!

apparently the top two reserviours are 9.5 miles (been measured by friend on bike). seriously gorgeous scenery though, and clean air.

Originally posted by Jamie

is the GNR a full marathon distance?

No, it is a Half Marathon, 13.2 miles.

My times for Sheffield's Half Marathon were

1997 1 hr 50 min

1987 1 hr 38 min

but I must admit that had I been running in the GNR the hot weather would have added a good ten minutes to my expected finishing time (which would be around 2 hours 10).

Congrats to all participants, esp those who raised money for charities.

Archived