Depression - cures?

Thanks for all your replies everyone.

My depression is "clinical", not linked to a specific event. I also believe that i suffer from SAD but i do have to wonder about all of these suddenly discovered conditions like SAD. Im dreading the winter months as i turn into a miserable monster.

I will try and see my doctor again, but im already taking 100mg Sertraline. Exersise isnt really an option for me as it aggrivates a medical condition for which im taking other medication. I used to enjoy the outdoors and did a lot of hiking in my teens (im only in my 20's now) and loved it. Now though im 17st and stuck indoors.

You do need to try and get re-connected with your previous enjoyment of the outdoors, if not hiking then some gentle walks and with someone that will enjoy the same. Try the signature link to see if you can find someone with the same interests, these friendship referral sites for larger people are maybe something to consider, are normally free to join, and some can even be completely free to make contact with others to arrange a day out walking somewhere. After all, this is the time of year to take advantage of the great outdoors, and re-charge your batteries before the dark winter evenings close in on us again. Best of luck, :)

Thanks for all your replies everyone.

My depression is "clinical", not linked to a specific event. I also believe that i suffer from SAD but i do have to wonder about all of these suddenly discovered conditions like SAD. Im dreading the winter months as i turn into a miserable monster.

I will try and see my doctor again, but im already taking 100mg Sertraline. Exersise isnt really an option for me as it aggrivates a medical condition for which im taking other medication. I used to enjoy the outdoors and did a lot of hiking in my teens (im only in my 20's now) and loved it. Now though im 17st and stuck indoors.

have you try'd any of the alternative things like a meditation"vapassana "retreat for a couple of weeks.I've seen it work on differant types of people suffering depression.

Ive been suffering with depression now for about 6 months. It manifests itself as moodswings, general apathy and little enjoyment in anything.

I saw my GP who prescribed Sertraline which has been keeping me pretty level since, but recently Ive found that these symptoms have started to creep in again.

What can i do to stop myself slipping further?

Have you tried exercise...it's supposed to release 'happy' chemicals into your body when you've done it. It doesn't have to be an hour & half at the gym throwing dumbells about, perhaps a walk down trails at Rivelin or a walk around Greaves Park (depending on your location).

Best wishes hope you can get the better of it.

my cbt theropist told me her self that cbt for depression doesn't really work unless its being done in conjunction with medication and particuly positive person. cbt deals primarily with learn't behavour ( such as phobia's) not brain chemistry conditions

Some cases of depression are caused primarily, or entirely, by events; cbt might well work for those. Others, which are caused by brain chemistry malfunctions, would be almost entirely unaffected by it.

Have you tried exercise...it's supposed to release 'happy' chemicals into your body when you've done it. It doesn't have to be an hour & half at the gym throwing dumbells about, perhaps a walk down trails at Rivelin or a walk around Greaves Park (depending on your location).

Best wishes hope you can get the better of it.

look I know your only trying to help bedding, but he's 17 stone! I don't think he's into throwing dumbbells about or running down rivelin valley road mate.I think he'd be more suited to sitting on is arse meditating .

look I know your only trying to help bedding, but he's 17 stone! I don't think he's into throwing dumbbells about or running down rivelin valley road mate.I think he'd be more suited to sitting on is arse meditating .

Don't you just hate people who skim read replies? Firstly it's Bedders not bedding!! Try reading my post again....walk down Rivelin Valley / Greaves Park. Never mentioned Rivelin Valley Road said trails!!!!He might be 17 stone but hopefully can walk...or is that just asuming? I'll not bother replying in future....

Tell you what depresses me people who read replies...then make their own version up of what they've just read!

Tell you what depresses me people who read replies...then make their own version up of what they've just read!

You have just done the same.

Suggesting exercise at post 34 when the OP says at post 31 that exercise isn't an option due to pre-existing medical conditions.

You have just done the same.

Suggesting exercise at post 34 when the OP says at post 31 that exercise isn't an option due to pre-existing medical conditions.

I was trying to draw a little more info from the OP but don't seem to be getting anything! I.e as to why exercise is not an option.

Perhaps he's diagnosed himself? He likes the great outdoors & can't access it.....hence depression. What the solution is who knows.......out in a wheelchair?

Archived