Down by the side of TJ Hughes..George Street.

Sheffield bank office was the National Provincial Bank.

I worked there in the 1950's & met my wife there.

It was the largest NatPro office in the North before the bank merged with the Westminster Bank which used to be on High Street.

The Manager at the time was Mr Burrons & the assistant was Mr Dagleish.

I wonder how many of the members of staff are still around?:|

Just to be fair to the Council :) I don't think any of those building have ever belonged to the Council .. with the possible exception of the Old Courthouse which was passed to the Judiciary and then sold on into private hands many years ago afaik.

You can blame them for many things, but those specific buildings? Probably not.

Sheffield Council has(I believe) the authority to order the owners to make repairs to a listed strcuture.

• 3 weeks later...

My grandparents was the caretakers of the National Provincial Bank. They used to live in the flat right on the top floor. I used to help my grandma sometimes as she was also a cleaner there she used to polish the beautiful wooden counters in the bank. also stoke up the boiler in the basement. I loved going there my sisters and i loved to slide down the long hand rails of the steps that led up to my grandparent flat.

One day I went with my friend to Spa 1877 (well we go a lot, but on this particular day we noticed the old buildings eg the Tiger Works, Huttons Buildings, Glossop Road market etc) and went back the next week with a camera and took a few pics. We have lived here all our lives and not noticed the buildings!

• 7 years later...
My grandparents was the caretakers of the National Provincial Bank. They used to live in the flat right on the top floor. I used to help my grandma sometimes as she was also a cleaner there she used to polish the beautiful wooden counters in the bank. also stoke up the boiler in the basement. I loved going there my sisters and i loved to slide down the long hand rails of the steps that led up to my grandparent flat.

Mrs Walker was her name.

Just to be fair to the Council :) I don't think any of those building have ever belonged to the Council .. with the possible exception of the Old Courthouse which was passed to the Judiciary and then sold on into private hands many years ago afaik.

You can blame them for many things, but those specific buildings? Probably not.

Yes the Post Office building in Fitzalan Square was General Post Office, therefore the government. Also Midland Station/Victoria station (British Railways) also government.