Best Jap performance car? Under 10k.

If you're looking for as much bang for your buck as possible go for the Evo. But be warned, they are very expensive to run (service every 4500 miles, low mpg's, expensive parts). If you are looking for a daily runner that won't cost the earth go for the Subaru.

You can't beat sound of a Subaru...that flat 4 engine with unequal manifold that it comes with... sounds fantastic. Burble, burble,burble. I'm a Scooby man myself.....but if you are into modding go with the EVO. Too many modded Scoobys seem to have engine fires...don't know if it's owt to do with the top mounted intercooler as opposed to the front one on the EVO.

they sound crap and are far too common

If you don't mind understated (I'd prefer it actually) you could consider a Mazda 6 MPS. 2.3 turbo petrol, 260bhp which can be pushed higher with a re-map. Not quite as fast as an evo or a wrx, but they have a higher spec inside and would cost less to insure and service etc.

yeah turbo diesel is the way to go, mine gives up at around 4 thousand rpm tho! lol but PLENTY of low down torque

Are you sure about that?

Yeah...until your dual mass flywheels falls to bits & leaves you with a bill for £1000 then all you've saved in petrol is gone.....

.....or your fuel injectors have enlarged leaving you with lumpy running & it won't pass a MOT test due to the emissions about another £800

....or your turbo gives up due to the oil fouling up much quicker in a diesel than a petrol, leaving you with about £1500 to replace

.....or if you've got a new generation TD the EGR / Swirler valve problems cost about £500-£700.

Turbo diesels went past the point of reliability about 5 years ago & anything much more than about 130 bhp is just.....well get your wallet out!

Check out the owners forums.....you'll see!

Archived