Ian Huntley to sue prison service

But I'm not apologising for him Mr Squirrel, since I believe the 40 years (at least) Huntley will spend in prison is a harsher punishment than killing him, it also keeps my hands and conscience clean.

While i understand this notion, i feel that Huntleys current 'punishment' is little of the sort.

40 years in a 6x6 concrete cell with only a concrete slab as a bed and a bog in the corner as 'luxuries'... no window and never let out - ever... i may agree but his current situation of incarceration is nothing resembling punishment as i see fit.

I have no desire to 'punish' criminals of his stature anyway.... shop lifters, drink drivers and the like.. maybe, but hardened pedophile murderers.. punishment is not an issue to me.... cleansing our society of this scum is more important.

While i understand this notion, i feel that Huntleys current 'punishment' is little of the sort.

40 years in a 6x6 concrete cell with only a concrete slab as a bed and a bog in the corner as 'luxuries'... no window and never let out - ever... i may agree but his current situation of incarceration is nothing resembling punishment as i see fit.

I have no desire to 'punish' criminals of his stature anyway.... shop lifters, drink drivers and the like.. maybe, but hardened pedophile murderers.. punishment is not an issue to me.... cleansing our society of this scum is more important.

Well it sure looks like prison as we know it now is no deterrent to the reduction of crime, as they are packed to the rafters!

See:-

http://www.thelawpages.com/crime-statistics/prison-population.php

We can't live in a civilised society if we don't have an answer to the problem? Prisons getting fuller & deviance on the rise!!!

But you must agree & records show it that we breeding more of these deviant 'nutcases'!

I don't know Bedders, I think these events are just more extensively covered than they were 20/30 years ago, but having said that, I'll certainly believe there's something wrong with society when they aren't front page news!

To try to keep things in perspective how many Huntley's do we get in a year? The fact we can remember the names of him, Roy Whiting, and Venables & Thompson suggests they're rare and rightly shocking events.

Prison IS punishment, it isn't FOR punishment.

As much as we might like to exercise our vengeance muscles there doesn't seem to be much evidence that it has any real effect. Whereas rehabilitation does seem to produce some results.

I don't know Bedders, I think these events are just more extensively covered than they were 20/30 years ago, but having said that, I'll certainly believe there's something wrong with society when they aren't front page news!

To try to keep things in perspective how many Huntley's do we get in a year? The fact we can remember the names of him, Roy Whiting, and Venables & Thompson suggests they're rare and rightly shocking events.

Quoting from the latest BCS publication..."Surveys have shown public trust in crime statistics and other official statistics is low and many people believe that political interference in the production of statistics"

Source:- Crime In England & Wales 2009/2010 An overview of the findings.

The fact we may even get one is too much for my liking and showing the deterrent isn't working!

Archived