Ian Huntley to sue prison service

That is contradiction Tony, its only grammar that separates the issue.

If prison IS the punishment then by sending people TO prison is in actual fact, flexing our vengeance muscles.

Im all for rehabilitation... rehabilitation of thiefs, fraudsters, joy riders and even people who commit murder in the heat of the moment.

Vile perverts who prey on children.. abducting them, raping them, killing them and then attempting to cover his footsteps, are people whom rehabilitation will never effect and i see no reason why society should waste its time, effort and expense in attempting to do so.

The fact that the length of the sentance imposed by the state in the Act of parliament, & then later handed down by the judiciary, would seem to back up what you are saying! (that they are beyond rehabilitation).

Imagine a job interview "How come Mr Smuntley (Huntley.. renamed no doubt to appease the lefties that everyone should get a second chance) there is a 40 year gap in your working history?" (That's asuming the 65 year old pension age has been abolished)

The fact that the length of the sentance imposed by the state in the Act of parliament, & then later handed down by the judiciary, would seem to back up what you are saying! (that they are beyond rehabilitation).

Imagine a job interview "How come Mr Smuntley (Huntley.. renamed no doubt to appease the lefties that everyone should get a second chance) there is a 40 year gap in your working history?" (That's asuming the 65 year old pension age has been abolished)

Indeed.

Knowing our 'rehabilitation service'.... they would probably send him for a job as a school caretaker!

And when he offends again, the authorities will say "oh yes, we knew he was attracted to young girls but it would be against his human rights to say so".

But you must agree & records show it that we breeding more of these deviant 'nutcases'!

Crime on whole is on the fall according to records... but serious crime / violence / murder is on the up!

the statistics for children being abducted and murdered are pretty much unchanged from fifty or sixty years ago.

Approximately one child a week is murdered, usually at the hands of a parent or step-parent.

those baying for Huntley to suffer gruesome torture have a lot in common with him.

No they don't.

Huntley brutally murdered 2 innocent young girls, who didn't stand a chance of protecting themselves against someone they trusted enough to be there in the first place.

Huntley is where he is because he carried out the above. He could have avoided a slit throat by not killing anyone.

Alot of people who post on threads that someone like him, that has done something horrific, should be killed, don't actually mean it literally.

One bullet in the head would solve the issue. No chance of him escaping or being released and killing someone else. No further bill to the taxpayer.

People can say what they want but morally, someone carrying out something so horrific should be afforded the same human rights they gave to their victims.

Also, I agree with Sheffy, if the victim was my child, I'd happily pull the trigger myself.

That is contradiction Tony, its only grammar that separates the issue.

If prison IS the punishment then by sending people TO prison is in actual fact, flexing our vengeance muscles.

It doesn't really matter what you think, prison IS the punishment.

The removal of liberty is the punishment, not anything else extra that you might fancy doling out or taking away once somebody goes there.

Im all for rehabilitation... rehabilitation of thiefs, fraudsters, joy riders and even people who commit murder in the heat of the moment.

Vile perverts who prey on children.. abducting them, raping them, killing them and then attempting to cover his footsteps, are people whom rehabilitation will never effect and i see no reason why society should waste its time, effort and expense in attempting to do so.

But how do you square that with (ISTR) the half of offenders against children who were child victims themselves? Do they stop being a victim once they continue the cycle? Do they become vile perverts who should be put to death?

(Don't mistake that as any kind of justification on my part)

I've not actually read this whole thread as i'm in a bit of a rush but just thought i'd put my two penneth in;

From what I can gather the parents of Jessica and Holly were awarded £11,000. Now granted i'm not sure if this was each, or altogether. So to me it seems sensible, let him claim, pay out £100,000 to stop him complaining - and award it 50/50 to the families of the victims. It won't make much difference to their grief but i'm sure it would make life a little easier.

As for him, as far as i'm concerned all his human rights went out of the window when he killed two young girls. I hope he rots in jail until the day he dies - and fingers crossed he will live well into his 90's.

It doesn't really matter what you think, prison IS the punishment.

The removal of liberty is the punishment, not anything else extra that you might fancy doling out or taking away once somebody goes there.

But how do you square that with (ISTR) the half of offenders against children who were child victims themselves? Do they stop being a victim once they continue the cycle? Do they become vile perverts who should be put to death?

(Don't mistake that as any kind of justification on my part)

I wasnt suggesting that prison was not a punishment, i was highlighting a contradiction that criminals are sent to prison AS punishment and that, is the contradiction to the notion that punishment is not the agenda but 'rehabilitation' and further to your comment, i wish not to 'fancy doling out or taking away' extra punishments, just that prison should be a place of minimal comforts and not the social club for lowlifes complete with Sky TV, games consoles, Snooker tables and so on that we see today... A bed, a bog and lots of mail bags to sew should be the life inside.

Lest we digress...

Its unfortunate that many perverts were abused as children themselves, however children grow into adults with adult minds that know perfectly well the difference between right and wrong... the difference between nurturing and respecting children and raping and murdering them is clear for anybody with half an ounce of decency/maturity to see.

Ignorance and nurture can only be played by children, once they grow into an adult, the 'innocence' of that train of thought is no longer valid.

Archived