Claire Balding v A A Gill

A A Gill is a nasty, hateful person, but the editor's response is utterly stupid:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/30/clare-balding-lesbian-complaint-gill

The BBC presenter Clare Balding is embroiled in a furious row over a newspaper columnist's "homophobic" remarks about her sexuality. The 39-year-old sports journalist has lodged a complaint with the Press Complaints Commission following a review of her new programme, Britain by Bike, by the Sunday Times's TV and restaurant critic, AA Gill.

Balding, who is gay, complained to the newspaper's editor, John Witherow, about the tone of the article. But, she said, she was then even more horrified by Witherow's response.

Balding, who is gay, complained to the newspaper's editor, John Witherow, about the tone of the article. But, she said, she was then even more horrified by Witherow's response.

Good programme but irrespective of Baldwin's preference in sexual partners is the fact that

a - she looks uncomfortable on that bike; &

b - she works better on radio.

Sorry to add, but in this day of tedious PC, this line brought a smile to my face: "Now back to the dyke on a bike, puffing up the nooks and crannies at the bottom end of the nation."

Good programme but irrespective of Baldwin's preference in sexual partners is the fact that

a - she looks uncomfortable on that bike; &

b - she works better on radio.

Sorry to add, but in this day of tedious PC, this line brought a smile to my face: "Now back to the dyke on a bike, puffing up the nooks and crannies at the bottom end of the nation."

:hihi::hihi:

AA GILL i read a article where he slated someone else and finished off with " i have a right to opinion" in that case lord prescott and the other people backing the dyke on the bike also are entitled to their opinion of you sir, and i second their opinions

Britain by Bike is just Monkey Tennis. Balding should be lashed to said bicycle at Beachy Head and forced to watch the Brass Eye Paedophilia Special Report while a naked AA Gill dances naked around her.

Hmm, there might be a programme in that. Claire Balding's Naked Dancers is a catchy title.

... shortly followed by Adrian Chiles' Submarine Graffiti Class

"In my view some members of the gay community need to stop regarding themselves as having a special victim status and behave like any other sensible group that is accepted by society.

"Not having a privileged status means, of course, one must accept occasionally being the butt of jokes. A person's sexuality should not give them a protected status.

"Jeremy Clarkson, perhaps the epitome of the heterosexual male, is constantly jeered at for his dress sense (lack of), adolescent mindset and hairstyle. He puts up with it as a presenter's lot and in this context I hardly think that AA Gill's remarks were particularly cruel, especially as he ended by so warmly endorsing you as a presenter."

:clap: for the common sense displayed.

The spat is being followed by thousands of people on Twitter. Balding, who made her debut on the microblogging site earlier this week to call Gill a "****", is now seeking advice from fellow tweeter Stephen Fry.

Fry's response on Twitter was helpful...

"luvvie if only you'd bought the smashing #Apple #iPhone instead of bike horrid Gill would have nothing 2 rhyme"

Archived