Shirland Lane, Darnall

Has anyone any photos of the old Shirland Lane, Darnall specifically number 285 - it was a corner shop with Wilfred Road I think.

I looked on Google and now its a big housing estate - can you tell me when that happened - I seem to remember the shop was there in the early 70's. Have also tried SheffieldPics but nothing on there.

Has anyone any photos of the old Shirland Lane, Darnall specifically number 285 - it was a corner shop with Wilfred Road I think.

I looked on Google and now its a big housing estate - can you tell me when that happened - I seem to remember the shop was there in the early 70's. Have also tried SheffieldPics but nothing on there.

All started to change in the early 90s

I lived on Wilfrid road throughout the 1950s,there was no shop on the corner with Shirland lane.However,on the next road along ,Farenden road there was a shop on either corner.One was a chip shop and one was a newsagents.Hope this helps.Alas i kept no photos of the area but there were numerous shops along Shirland lane from Ardmore street to Balfour road.

Sorry my mistake it was Wilstrop Road. The shop was run by Gertrude Winter, my grandmother in law. She was there in 1954 according to the trade directories

Sheffield local studies library have photographs which they have not put on Pictures Sheffield. It may be worth emailing them. Phil.

• 4 years later...

just found a lovely photo of mrs winters shop at the top of wilstrop road darnall. my grandma lived bang opposite and we lived on cattal street. best sweet shop ever. the photo was on a site called old photos of Sheffield. all the sweets were in glass jars. if I remember her daughter in law worked for her, think her name was violet.