What's preventing the eradication of social stigma?

What social stigma were you thinking of in particular? In comparison to what life was life when I was a child in the 50s and early 60s, there are no social stigmas left.

Live together unmarried, have a child out of wedlock, be the child aforesaid, be homosexual or lesbian, come to the attention of the police, be out of work deliberately, go to jail, be a pin-up or an exotic dancer. All those 'stigmas' seem to have vanished these days. I'm sure I could think of more, if I really put my mind to it.

Its good that people aren't stigmatised for those things any more, but bad when they grab their rights with both hands, and just as quickly drop their responsibilities.

What social stigma were you thinking of in particular? In comparison to what life was life when I was a child in the 50s and early 60s, there are no social stigmas left.

Live together unmarried, have a child out of wedlock, be the child aforesaid, be homosexual or lesbian, come to the attention of the police, be out of work deliberately, go to jail, be a pin-up or an exotic dancer. All those 'stigmas' seem to have vanished these days. I'm sure I could think of more, if I really put my mind to it.

I'd agree that we have become more socially aware of these things, but there's still the bigoted views that many of us simply accept as being a little bit of banter or, the general opinion of the public. I suppose I'm referring to the ignorance that we(joe public)have simply learned to accept as being the norm.

Obviously there's the attitudes of the bigoted idiots, but surely there's more to it than that?.

Maybe we're all partly responsible. Do we really do enough to tackle the cruel and bigoted attitudes within our society?

could you give examples of the some of the attitudes and how you think we should eradicate them.

could you give examples of the some of the attitudes and how you think we should eradicate them.

I was thinking the same....what are they on about? EXAMPLES!!!

(Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive!)

Firstly, I don't believe there is any quick fix solution, so I'm not saying the bigoted attitudes that can cause stigma could ever be eradicated.

But some examples would include:

Gay youngsters(teenage lads in particular) afraid of revealing their sexually due to the attitudes of their friends, peers, maybe even father.

Imigrants that have worked and contributed to this country who are made to feel as though they have no right to be here, simply due to wide spread public attitudes.

Black/White/Asian racial discrimination. Especially if they don't approve of mixed race relationships.

I suppose they're not stigma's as such, they're more bigoted attitudes, but you know what I'm saying.:)

I was thinking the same....what are they on about? EXAMPLES!!!

Well, it seems to be still fair game to joke about someone being a "dyke on a bike" merely because of her sexual preferences. That's a vast improvement on her being hounded out of work, but it shows there's still a fair distance to go.

On the other hand, I don't think he'd have got away with "queer hunting deer" or "fag shooting stag" if it was a show about hunting presenting by a gay man, so perhaps it's only in certain areas where we still have a fair distance to go.

Firstly, I don't believe there is any quick fix solution, so I'm not saying the bigoted attitudes that can cause stigma could ever be eradicated.

But some examples would include:

Gay youngsters(teenage lads in particular) afraid of revealing their sexually due to the attitudes of their friends, peers, maybe even father.

Imigrants that have worked and contributed to this country who are made to feel as though they have no right to be here, simply due to wide spread public attitudes.

Black/White/Asian racial discrimination. Especially if they don't approve of mixed race relationships.

I suppose they're not stigma's as such, they're more bigoted attitudes, but you know what I'm saying.:)

I've always found 'social stigma' a strange phrase because it relies on cultural norms & consensus. We don't really know what that means if we are being honest....think about it how do you know in a population of 65 million what the consensus is on each & every attitude unless you hold some sort of referendum?.....but we do know from how voting at the polls goes that if you call people bigots willy nilly you'll get voted out.

If we were to hold a referendum on the Human Rights Act i think there would be a very good chance it would be repealed as it only acts in favour of those that are criminals most of the time. Hows that working for the consensus?

Obviously there's the attitudes of the bigoted idiots, but surely there's more to it than that?.

Maybe we're all partly responsible. Do we really do enough to tackle the cruel and bigoted attitudes within our society?

Who are you or anyone else though to impose a line of thinking on someone else ?

People have been tribal and look out for their own since day blob, its a survival trait. Helping and favoring those of a similar genetic makeup of your own helps, we form social bonds ect

Are you suggesting we should be breaking up Pakistani communities because they favor their own ?

Its all pretty new this holier than thou attitude, peoples will get on ok if its beneficial to all but you cant force opinions on people, you can make laws to ensure that no one is hurt by those opinions but you cant eradicate them.

Education, laws, drawing communities together yes. A call to war on peoples outlook and opinions seem another wacky idea (not the first this week).

Who are you or anyone else though to impose a line of thinking on someone else ?

People have been tribal and look out for their own since day blob, its a survival trait. Helping and favoring those of a similar genetic makeup of your own helps, we form social bonds ect

Are you suggesting we should be breaking up Pakistani communities because they favor their own ?

Its all pretty new this holier than thou attitude, peoples will get on ok if its beneficial to all but you cant force opinions on people, you can make laws to ensure that no one is hurt by those opinions but you cant eradicate them.

Education, laws, drawing communities together yes. A call to war on peoples outlook and opinions seem another wacky idea (not the first this week).

I'm not imposing any views on anyone, that's not my aim. But how can you say that it's perfectly allright for ethnic groups to continue segregating themselves?, isn't it time we started seeing others for who they are, as opposed to what they are?

Archived