Moving to America -how feasible?

If you really want to do it then get yourself a masters and then a Phd and then get some experience teaching at a uni in this country and then start applying for jobs in the American universities. The university will then be willing to sponsor you and get you a visa if you get the job. Good luck.

If you really want to do it then get yourself a masters and then a Phd and then get some experience teaching at a uni in this country and then start applying for jobs in the American universities. The university will then be willing to sponsor you and get you a visa if you get the job. Good luck.

sounds good but what i really want to do is teach in primary school, so bit of a different career path!

oh i didnt realise! we went on holiday to boston and new york and fell in love with boston (loved new york but not sure about living there). We would both be teachers and there seems to be loads of jobs in boston in teaching. Whether like you say they would be offered to immigrants after american citizens im not sure. The teaching salaries are also much higher so that is obviously very appealing too!.

Australia has never really appealed to me really, which sounds like a bit of a shame considering what you've just said about jobs. oh well! x

Boston also has one of the best universities in America, but if you're wanting primary school level it is probably irrelevant. I know that degrees in the UK count for more than the equivalent in America does but you'd really need to check what jobs are available first (just go to indeed.com, make sure you are on the American site and then put teaching and Boston in).

Boston is a really nice city, I've got family who live there and they really like it (apart from the nickname of Taxachusetts). New York is ridiculously expensive to live in Manhattan ($2,5000 per month for a 1 bedroomed apartment) and most areas outside of Manhattan are pretty much the ghetto!

Boston also has one of the best universities in America, but if you're wanting primary school level it is probably irrelevant. I know that degrees in the UK count for more than the equivalent in America does but you'd really need to check what jobs are available first (just go to indeed.com, make sure you are on the American site and then put teaching and Boston in).

Boston is a really nice city, I've got family who live there and they really like it (apart from the nickname of Taxachusetts). New York is ridiculously expensive to live in Manhattan ($2,5000 per month for a 1 bedroomed apartment) and most areas outside of Manhattan are pretty much the ghetto!

We have been looking at jobs over the past few weeks and there are loads of teaching jobs with very competitive salaries ($50,000) and the cost of living is much lower. Ive got family in massachussets but not boston and they love it too.

Overall everything is cheaper in the united states, though the current administration is attempting to change that. Overall it should be easier for someone from the UK to immigrate than other nations as we speak the same language.

Brooklyn has some lovely areas. And if you're prepared to commute further (if you work in Manhattan) then there are nice areas further out.

All of the people I know who have successfully moved to the US in the last few years have done so because they were working for a multinational company who have transferred their workers to the US from the UK.

Everyone who has tried to get a job in the US and move over with a green card has either stayed in the UK or ended up going to Canada or Australia instead because it's very expensive being turned down repeatedly for a visa or green card for the US.

EDIT- I do know two people who met and married US citizens in the UK and then moved over there as their spouse.

We have been looking at jobs over the past few weeks and there are loads of teaching jobs with very competitive salaries ($50,000) and the cost of living is much lower. Ive got family in massachussets but not boston and they love it too.

That's not a great salary is it. It might look good due to the poor exchange rate, but you really need to compare the costs of living as well.

There's no easy 'Sheffield -> NYC' comparisons, but NYC is supposedly about 15% cheaper than London, and UK comparisons say that London is about 40% more expensive than Sheffield...

http://www.npower.com/At_home/forms/COL/COLcalculator.aspx?nodeId=37&siteId=web&siteRelativeUrl=%2FAt_home%2Fforms%2FCOL%2Findex.htm&ssUrlType=2&MainRegion=WCMS_005325

Which gives you NYC being 20% more expensive than Sheffield.

So take that into account when comparing salaries.

Brooklyn has some lovely areas. And if you're prepared to commute further (if you work in Manhattan) then there are nice areas further out.

I guess the comment was a little harsh, but in all commutable areas to Manhattan you've either got a choice of ghetto or paying at least 5 times more than you would anywhere else in the world.

Archived