Moving to America -how feasible?

I think the taxes are much higher in the UK because most of their taxes go towards health care and people on benefits, nothings free in England for the working class.

Who do you think on the whole pays for the health care in the US? You don't think that the companies pay for their employees health insurance out of their profits? It's the customers of course, so in a way every one who buys a service or a product is paying an unofficial tax to cover the price of all the employees health care costs.

Good luck with the visa,green card,i msarried an american and we had to jump over so many hoops with visas ect before he could come over 4 years ago,the first 6 months he wasnt allowed to work,no public funds which is okay as he didnt pay anything into our taxes,but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i had to pay full council tax lol from the day he landed in UK??? anyway i didnt even think about that,i didnt realise poppins for me to go over there to live and work it would be as hard maybe i didnt read up on it.So if i wanted to looks like it would cost,some friends of ours actually laughed when we told them what we earnt,we thought our salaries were good but according to them we are on the povery level in USA so now im a poor brit lol

Who do you think on the whole pays for the health care in the US? You don't think that the companies pay for their employees health insurance out of their profits? It's the customers of course, so in a way every one who buys a service or a product is paying an unofficial tax to cover the price of all the employees health care costs.

Yes, I didn't say it was free here, in the UK they call it "free health care" but it isn't is it ?

Me and my boyfriend are thinking of moving to america for a year next year, we visited boston on our hols this year and loved it. Has anyone here lived in America or moved there for work? How easy is it to do? ie getting working visas etc? We will both be qualified teachers when we go.

Thanks!x

Have you seen Boston in the Winter :hihi:

A temporary green card is easier to get than a permanent one though, and with the intention to be there for a year clearly you wouldn't expect to buy a house. The American Embassy would probably be able to help more than Sheffield Forum though.

Sorry but no such thing as a Temporary Green Card !

Yes, I didn't say it was free here, in the UK they call it "free health care" but it isn't is it ?

That's what many people here seem to believe. The fact that out of my wages I pay over £100 a month for facilities I've used twice in my life is apparently much better than paying for medical care as and when you need it.

I think the taxes are much higher in the UK because most of their taxes go towards health care and people on benefits, nothings free in England for the working class.

Are you sure taxes are much higher in the UK Pops ?

I believe that "take home" pay for the average working class in the US is around 70 -75% of their gross pay.

I'm not sure that is much different in the UK

Anyone ???

Seems these days that to get permanent residence you have to either be in a profession that's in high demand in the US and for which US citizens cannot be found to fill it or the immediate relative of a US citizen. The child of a US citizen would probably obtain a residence visa fairly quickly but being a close relative such as a sibling takes longer.

Being a US citizen I sponsored my sister in her application to become a permanent resident. The process took just over ten years before she and her husband finally obtained their green cards and I had to fill out an affadavit that I would be responsible for any debts they incurred and were not paid and also the costs of any major medical treatment they might need and could not pay themselves.

This obligation on my part was until they became citizens themselves which they were eligible to apply for after a permanent residence of five years

Seems these days that to get permanent residence you have to either be in a profession that's in high demand in the US and for which US citizens cannot be found to fill it or the immediate relative of a US citizen. The child of a US citizen would probably obtain a residence visa fairly quickly but being a close relative such as a sibling takes longer.

Being a US citizen I sponsored my sister in her application to become a permanent resident. The process took just over ten years before she and her husband finally obtained their green cards and I had to fill out an affadavit that I would be responsible for any debts they incurred and were not paid and also the costs of any major medical treatment they might need and could not pay themselves.

This obligation on my part was until they became citizens themselves which they were eligible for after a permanent residence of five years

Or........ You could just tell 'em you're Mexican

Archived