Moving to America -how feasible?

Health insurance isn't free in the US either. It makes little difference whether it's provided through private insurance or taxation, except that you can get non emergency treatment even if you're poor in the UK.

Of course it's not free in the US, although it can be very cheap depending on who you work for, example wer'e covered completely because my husband worked for the city, even being retired now we still have full coverage, but most people aren't as lucky as we are, and wer'e thankfull for this to say the least. Cyclone the poor can get non emergency treatment here, they just have to get to the back on the line, thats how it should be don't you think. ?

You do seem to know a lot about the US, no i mean it :) I find your posts interesting and learn a lot that i've never really been interested in before, Green cards, visa, work permits ect ect because things have changed so much since I came over....much easier back then ,thats how all us Limeys were able to sneek in :)

the price of living in boston is nothing like new york! our money went twice as far in boston and we were there twice as long!, e.g a 3 course meal is about 15 dollars, a weekly tram pass is 10 dollars. it would make no sense at all to move somewhere where the cost of living was higher than where you lived already. in our opinion anyway!

If you get the chance job and visa wise you'd be crazy not to go to Boston. It's a really nice, relaxed city that has a lower crime rate than most US cities and has some really great scenery. You've also got the worlds best city 3 hours away on the train!

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=50000&city1=53651000&city2=52507000

According to this Boston is a whole 3% cheaper than NYC for the cost of living.

So that would still be 20% more than Sheffield.

well having spent time there, albeit in a visiting capacity i still found it cheaper than sheffield, anyway its the whole vibe and the atmosphere that just adds to the appeal, as a place to be its very relaxing easygoing and people just seem so laidback and happy. not something you can put a price on!

If you get the chance job and visa wise you'd be crazy not to go to Boston. It's a really nice, relaxed city that has a lower crime rate than most US cities and has some really great scenery. You've also got the worlds best city 3 hours away on the train!

couldn't have put it better!

What dont you trust about Obama? Satisfy my curiosity but spare me "He's a secret Muslim bit" :D

I'm surprised you ask Harley as he takes us steadily but surely down the path to becoming the USSA

I'm surprised you ask Harley as he takes us steadily but surely down the path to becoming the USSA

People said that about Lyndon Johnson when he was Pres. I was living here then and was one of his soldiers in fact.

The Republicans fought tooth and nail against his Medicare bill

They said the same abour F.D Roosevelt in the early 30s when he introduced the Social Security act. The Republicans fought tooth and nail against that also.

Obama introduced a health care plan and now the Republicans are calling him a commie. The old song never changes. The plan has some faults that need to be corrected and if the GOP could work with him on it eventually 40 million Americans who presently have no coverage might ar least have some kind of health care. But they wont

Obama inherited two wars and a huge mess from George Bush. The economy was already mostly down the toilet when he was sworn in. The bail out despite it's critics was succesful and history will say this

Now people are saying the economy hasnt recovered and that's true but there are signs that it is slowly but surely on it's way up. Just look at the way the Dow has gone up during the past few weeks.

Without wishing to sound arrogant people are stupid. They are impatient and expect immediate results after going through a recession which was the worst since the Great Depression.

The Dems will lose seats in November and that always happens to a President halfway through his first term.

Sorry USUK you're gonna have to come up with something better than saying we're on the way to bcoming the USSA. That's a little too vague I think although Sarah Palin would agree with you no doubt.

Sarah is not my cup of Tea :D

Health insurance isn't free in the US either. It makes little difference whether it's provided through private insurance or taxation, except that you can get non emergency treatment even if you're poor in the UK.

Poor people can get emergency treatment here as well. My daughter in law is a Physicians Assistant at a large County Hospital. They dont turn away anyone, not even illegals who are mostly poor anyway.

We the taxpayers cover that cost

If on the other hand you look reasonably well off they will generally ask you to pay with a credit card if necessary

I would strongly afvise anyone coming to the US as a visitor to get Trravelers Insurance before leaving Britain. This would cover any emergency treatment

People said that about Lyndon Johnson when he was Pres. I was living here then and was one of his soldiers in fact.

The Republicans fought tooth and nail against his Medicare bill

They said the same abour F.D Roosevelt in the early 30s when he introduced the Social Security act. The Republicans fought tooth and nail against that also.

Obama introduced a health care plan and now the Republicans are calling him a commie. The old song never changes. The plan has some faults that need to be corrected and if the GOP could work with him on it eventually 40 million Americans who presently have no coverage might ar least have some kind of health care. But they wont

Obama inherited two wars and a huge mess from George Bush. The economy was already mostly down the toilet when he was sworn in. The bail out despite it's critics was succesful and history will say this

Now people are saying the economy hasnt recovered and that's true but there are signs that it is slowly but surely on it's way up. Just look at the way the Dow has gone up during the past few weeks.

Without wishing to sound arrogant people are stupid. They are impatient and expect immediate results after going through a recession which was the worst since the Great Depression.

The Dems will lose seats in November and that always happens to a President halfway through his first term.

Sorry USUK you're gonna have to come up with something better than saying we're on the way to bcoming the USSA. That's a little too vague I think although Sarah Palin would agree with you no doubt.

Sarah is not my cup of Tea :D

Any woman who cooks (and eats) Moose Stew sounds good to me :)

Archived