Controlling my dog fouling outside someone's house

The householder sounds a right misery!

I wouldn't see the issue for that woman to get shirty over as being your dog poohing by her house. I'd say she'd only need to get shirty if your dog poohed there and you left it.

@ natjack

No the no fouling bye-law is to do with the filthy pigs of owners leaving the dog pooh, not the dog poohing in the first place.

I do try to ensure my dog poohs on her own garden before wlakies, but as moonbird said, accidents do happen, but it's rarely impossible to clean up after the dog.

I was on a caravanning holiday, with my dad and sister a few years ago, and we'd tethered our dogs outside on the shady side of the caravan, just for half an hour or so, whilst we ate our tea.

Whilst we were eating, my dog, Sadie happened to have poohed (and we hadn't seen it as we were sitting down to tea). The pooh would have been cleaned up the minute we had finished tea, and brought the dogs back in. w

We wouldn't have left it there for more than a few minutes, - indeed, it would not have normally been left for more than a few seconds, had we not been eating our tea!

We were part way through our meal, when the campsite owner's daughter came ran-tanning on our caravan door, really irate and kicking off "Do you know your dog's messed?"

I said, no, I wasn't aware, but as she could see, we were in the middle of our tea, so weren't in a position to be watching the dogs for having accidents...

And in any case, for a start the pooh would be cleaned up the minute we went back out there, and secondly,did she really think that we were going to stop in the middle of our meal to go and check that our dogs hadn't poohed, or that we'd break off the meal to go clean it up?

Just a point, but I've never seen an assistance dog suddenly decide it has to make a deposit and drag its owner onto the nearest grass verge. I'm curious now as to how they train them when/where to go. Is it on command?

Maybe all dog owners who think the dog has to go when the dog wants to go could learn the procedure?

I'm in the camp that thinks the OP was out of order with her reaction. Keeping a dog is like having a child, don't do it if you can't stop them annoying other people :)

you cleaned it up, that is all that the law and common decency requires of you, you did your part. Dont let the dog haters get to you, i suggest next time take a spray bottle of bleach with you and give the area a added squirt just to shut the silly woman up

Just a point, but I've never seen an assistance dog suddenly decide it has to make a deposit and drag its owner onto the nearest grass verge. I'm curious now as to how they train them when/where to go. Is it on command?

Maybe all dog owners who think the dog has to go when the dog wants to go could learn the procedure?

I'm in the camp that thinks the OP was out of order with her reaction. Keeping a dog is like having a child, don't do it if you can't stop them annoying other people :)

dont you clean up after your children? she cleaned up after her dog, enough said

yes, ruby, the dog is fed once a day, at a set time, which helps them to "go" at a certain time, too. (the gastro-intestinal reflex! :D )

An assistance dog is trained very highly not to "go" whilst "in harness" (IE whilst "on duty")

The guide/ assistance dog has an area of their own garden to "go" in and they spend on command, they are told "busy! be busy!"

During the day, They'll have comfort breaks, just like we do, where the owner can take the dog to pop out for a wee or a pooh if they need one.

You are expected to clean up after your assistance dog, even if you are blind.

dont you clean up after your children? she cleaned up after her dog, enough said

But there is still the trace that the dog has been there, and the smell will attract other dogs to mark their territory there as well, even if its only a pee. And over time it will stink.

But there is still the trace that the dog has been there, and the smell will attract other dogs to mark their territory there as well, even if its only a pee. And over time it will stink.
thats why i also said to take a spray bleach out with her to give the area a squirt after clean up.the thing is a male dog will pee on anything verticle it finds so you cant say that

If you want to be self righteous and start ranting on a forum and then get mardy when people don't agree with you, nuff sed! This is why people with animals get a bad press. I can't remember my children ever messing outside anyone's house and if they had, I wouldn't have ended up having a row with the owner when they remonstrated with me. I'd have apologised and sadi I'd do my best to make sure it never happened again.

Anyway, does anyone know about the assistance dogs training?

thats why i also said to take a spray bleach out with her to give the area a squirt after clean up.

Great idea but that will probably kill the grass in patches too, so she won't win what ever she does outside that house unfortunately.

Next she will be banned for walking past in case a rogue flea falls off the dog and contaminates the area :rolleyes:

Archived