Controlling my dog fouling outside someone's house

Is it more that owners can't be bothered to train them or they don't want their own premises fouled?

I'm not sure that's always the case. It probably is for some people though! My dog is obviously a very trainable and clever breed and knows quite a lot of commands for the short space of time I've owned him for, however I know how uncomfortable is it when you need to pee (girls don't poo so I wouldn't know about that :hihi: ) and have no facilities to do so, so I wouldn't like Jet thinking he has to hold it in all day until get home. I would imagine that this could cause physical damage to him also. Once he had the "runs" and I didn't know about it until it came out, literally covering the whole pavement. I can laugh now, but at the time I was totally horrified. :hihi: Luckily it was on our street so I could quickly get home and fetch a bucket of water to swill it down the drain (believe me there was no way of picking it up :gag: ).

I'd much rather he did it in my garden, and when we move house and actually have a garden the dog can use he'll be encouraged to do so, but if he needs it whilst we are out I'm not willing (or able, once he's started :hihi: ) to stop him. Obviously I wouldn't let him go into someone else's garden but I honestly don't see the problem with him going in the street or park, as long as I pick it up.

It's definately possible to train your dog to only go on your garden, but I shall not be doing so. Maybe people whose dogs don't accompany them everywhere apart from work and as such are not frequently out of the house for a whole day would feel more comfortable doing so?

Thanks for that. I've deleted the bulk for brevity.

So, in other words, all this letting dogs go where they want, when they feel the urge is just lack of proper training on the part of the owners? It sounds like the the bulk of the problem could almost be eliminated by proper training.

If it can be, why isn't it done? Laziness on the owner's part, or lack of information on the technique?

I think that training when to go to the loo is all part of training, and a dog's ability with training is partly down to their intelligence and partly down to their owner's training ;)

Molly goes on command, but then again she's a GSD and that's pretty common with GSDs as so many are working dogs.

It's all about getting a key word for a command that the dog understands, but how long it takes for the dog to understand the function that is expected for the command is down to the individual dog.

Mol only goes outside her commanded times and on any other surface than grass when she really has no other choice, like if she's got an upset stomach.

It's definitely possible to train your dog to only go on your garden, but I shall not be doing so. Maybe people whose dogs don't accompany them everywhere apart from work and as such are not frequently out of the house for a whole day would feel more comfortable doing so?
I don't think I even slightly implied that anyone, human or dog, should have to hold their water for a whole day!

My point was that, as you train yourself and your human child to have some control over when and where they do a bowel movement, also do it with your furry one. It's better to be able to choose the place for the least inconvenience to everyone. including yourself, than indiscriminate soiling anywhere they choose and annoying other people.

People don't like random men peeing on their dustbin or front door, so why should they think it's ok because it's a dog? They are trainable, so they should be trained. IMO. :) Again, as in everything else, we don't blame the animal, we blame the owner.

Jillybabes appears to have lit the blue touchpaper and retired! :D

I don't think I even slightly implied that anyone, human or dog, should have to hold their water for a whole day!

My point was that, as you train yourself and your human child to have some control over when and where they do a bowel movement, also do it with your furry one. It's better to be able to choose the place for the least inconvenience to everyone. including yourself, than indiscriminate soiling anywhere they choose and annoying other people.

People don't like random men peeing on their dustbin or front door, so why should they think it's ok because it's a dog? They are trainable, so they should be trained. IMO. :) Again, as in everything else, we don't blame the animal, we blame the owner.

Jillybabes appears to have lit the blue touchpaper and retired! :D

Nope you didn't imply that! I was just making the point that it would be horrible if we were out for the whole day and Jet thought he couldn't do it anywhere other then the garden.

I am a bit confused though-and this is just a question and not me being sarky or anything-where would you suggest I train him to go? 'Cos in principal the idea of having places to do a poo is a good one, I just wonder how realistic it would be to implement it.

I totally agree with blaming the owner by the way. :D

Your point is what exactly?

There is no need or requirement to train your dog to foul on command - just the preference of people with a different opinion.

And so that different opinion holds no water with you then? If it were your opinion that a human crapping on your verge outside your house was inappropriate should that be ignored? Or should you expect an angry response when you ask them not to do it?

People choose to have dogs. There wouldn't be all these dogs around if people didn't have them as pets. As a result of that the people who choose to have dogs should show a little respect for people who choose not to and deal with the crap of their pets appropriately.

I'm not sure that's always the case. It probably is for some people though! My dog is obviously a very trainable and clever breed and knows quite a lot of commands for the short space of time I've owned him for, however I know how uncomfortable is it when you need to pee (girls don't poo so I wouldn't know about that :hihi: ) and have no facilities to do so, so I wouldn't like Jet thinking he has to hold it in all day until get home. I would imagine that this could cause physical damage to him also. Once he had the "runs" and I didn't know about it until it came out, literally covering the whole pavement. I can laugh now, but at the time I was totally horrified. :hihi: Luckily it was on our street so I could quickly get home and fetch a bucket of water to swill it down the drain (believe me there was no way of picking it up :gag: ).

I'd much rather he did it in my garden, and when we move house and actually have a garden the dog can use he'll be encouraged to do so, but if he needs it whilst we are out I'm not willing (or able, once he's started :hihi: ) to stop him. Obviously I wouldn't let him go into someone else's garden but I honestly don't see the problem with him going in the street or park, as long as I pick it up.

It's definately possible to train your dog to only go on your garden, but I shall not be doing so. Maybe people whose dogs don't accompany them everywhere apart from work and as such are not frequently out of the house for a whole day would feel more comfortable doing so?

you are not supposed to leave a dog all day

And so that different opinion holds no water with you then? If it were your opinion that a human crapping on your verge outside your house was inappropriate should that be ignored? Or should you expect an angry response when you ask them not to do it?

People choose to have dogs. There wouldn't be all these dogs around if people didn't have them as pets. As a result of that the people who choose to have dogs should show a little respect for people who choose not to and deal with the crap of their pets appropriately.

Which they do everyday by cleaning up after them. Thats all they are legally expected to do. Why should dog owners have to do more for others when everyone else simply obeys the law.

you are not supposed to leave a dog all day

Where did I say I left him all day? If you read the post (and my previous ones) properly you will see I'm referring to when we are out all day and, this is the crucial bit, he is with us.

Not that I have to justify myself but due to mine and OH's workign patterns Jet gets left alone all day maybe once a fortnight. My OH comes home during his dinner hour to walk him and give him a bit of attention on these days. It is, however, perfectly possible to have a dog even if you both work full time "office" hours. You just have to do your research, be selective and only get a dog suited to your lifestyle.

I was taking the dog for a walk this morning at around 8, walking past a house as you do when my dog decided to "go" outside this particular house, when this woman came out and said excuse me I know you are picking up after your dog but can you not let him go there in future cos it encourages other dogs to foul and I like to keep it clean, I said I cant control when and where my dog needs to poo and she's like yes you can you can go in front of your own house, so I said I will go where I want thanks and Im not arguing with you, I can understand if they are not dog people but its not her grass verge and I wont be told where to take my dog so there!

I think that they are being really unreasonable. At least you are cleaning up after your pet, not like cat owners who let their pets do it anywhere and make the cleaning up someone elses responsibility.

Archived