Day trips for kids this summer? Yorvik Centre?

Hi people,

Ive been at a mates today and she was asking me if I could think of something abit different she could do with the kids this summer. The youngest is 5 I believe and the other is 8.

Ive just seen an advert that reminded me of the Yorvik centre but not been since I was a kid so just wondered what you think, has anyone been lately? is it somewhere you think kids would enjoy?

I went a year or so ago (big kid!) and quite enjoyed it. The beginning is in a "time capsule" where the floor shakes and the guide explains whats happening, then you sit on the little carriage thing which takes you around the edge, and finally you go through the museum which is very interesting, with 3d re-enactments and a place to make your own Viking coin. I must say it was shorter than expected, only lasted an hour or so.

I went a few years ago to Yorvik on a college trip, its quite good and I believe its been improved recently. It can be expensive though and isn't a full day out. Kids do enjoy the erm....pooing viking if he's still there! :hihi:

Kelham Island museum has free kids activities on on a Wednesday, I think the website will have full details.

Weston Park Museum is great on rainy days for kids those ages.

Sorry, not been to Yorvik for years, and have never taken a kid there, so can't comment.

In recent months we've taken our 5 year old to the following:

Eureka - quite good, she tried a few of the interactive stuff, but the best bit for her was the play area outside, even though its pretty basic.

The Deep at Hull. OK, but I thinkl the Sealife centres are better - the walkthrough tubes at Sealife are better than the vertical lift at the Deep, which I see as just a gimmick, trying to be different and "special"

The Yorkshire Wildlife Park (I think it is called) - in Doncaster. We went soon after they introduced the Lions (brought over from Eastern Europe), so it was quite busy. However for our daughter (and for most other kids by the look of it) the best bits were the indoor slides. They have presumably been provided to give something to do in bad weather, but the kids preferred this to boring old lions even on a hot spring day. There are some ordinary slides which they go down on hessian mats. But the best ones are some slides which start vertically, and then flatten out - they look great fun, and once our daughter summoned up the courage to try, she loved them. (Make sure your kids have long sleeves and trousers, otherwise they'll not be allowed on these slides due to the risk of burns).

Magna. She's not bothered about the interactive stuff - she finds the whole building dark and oppressive. However she loves the play areas especially the water play area in hot weather.

You may see a pattern here. Where ever we take her, she always seems to prefer the play areas. I think we'll stick to Endcliffe Park and Forge Dam for the play areas, and Millhouses Park (or even the Peace Gardens) on very hot days for the water. We'll save the more educational stuff until she is older.

We have also visited some of the animal places (Butterfly Farm, Whirlow Hall Farm, Yorkshire Wildlife) where they can get close up and handle the animals, but I reckon Heeley City Farm is as good, and is free.

Edit ...and the cafe at Heeley City Farm is quite small, but good value - we usually have something there, if only a coffee.

Cawthorne has a maize maize in the summer which is good for children. We always take visitors there as its quite different and fun. Pick a dry day though! It is opposite Cannon Hall which has a tea room/ farm ( good for children) and shops and lots of places to walk or picni afterwards. Also the next village to that is Silkstone which has Pot House Hamlet for a nice lunch and the resturant is child friendly.

Some nice museums in Hull (adjacent to the river Hull). Not been for a while (the last time we went, on a Bank holiday they were shut). There used to be the Wilberforce Museum, and a local history one IIRC. We called in after visiting the Deep (about 10 minutes walk away), but as they were shut we drove to Fort Paul instead.

Archived