Money over peace of mind?

Hi, I hope this is the right forum for this post. Apologies if not.

Seen a couple of lads going around our estate this morning (I know them), advertising for gardening work. They will be in their last year of school when they go back.

I know for a fact they do not have any insurance. What will happen if they hurt themselves or if they do damage to property.

They are advertising £5 a garden. One has said yes and it's a £50 for that particular garden which I have quoted for. So I'm not happy about that lol.

I'm all for kids being pro-active and staying out of trouble.

My question is the title.

Would you employ teenagers to do work for you cheaply over someone who does that work for a living with all relevant cover if something does go wrong?

Also petrol powered tools are dangerous machines in the wrong hands.

Thanks, Matt

I used to wash cars when I was younger. Something could have gone wrong then, but it didn't. I guess it's the times we live in at the moment, all about blame, compensation, insurance, liability etc.

Good on them for being pro-active and wanted to earn a bit of money.

It must be annoying though to see people undercutting you because they don't have to earn a living from it as such, and because they are, presumably, not paying tax or insurance, or for the tools which I guess they will borrow from a parent.

Good initiative, but bad for you!

It must be annoying though to see people undercutting you because they don't have to earn a living from it as such, and because they are, presumably, not paying tax or insurance, or for the tools which I guess they will borrow from a parent.

Good initiative, but bad for you!

Yes, but there have been a number of comments on here about gardeners not turning up, they seem to be like Rocking Horse excrement.

Don't understand why people don't turn up to do the job, because work is work, and if the job is too big, they should say so. I have had a couple of enquiries from the forum and point blank over the phone I have said no. Why waste peoples time.

Nobody has answered my question yet, and my post is diverting to other topics.

Yes it's good to be pro-active but the consequences could be severe. Oops I ran over my best trainers and chopped my big toe off with the mower you borrowed me.

Bit severe but it could happen.

Archived