A better deal for people who contribute to society

The obvious thing that you are missing is that the majority of benefit claimers are entitled to discounts and rebates on their tax free income, whereas working people on low incomes are taxed on that income then have to pay full rates on council tax, rent

This is not true. Working people on low incomes can also claim housing and council tax benefit; even income support, if their income is low enough.

Can see the advert now:
Doesn't quite tally with the OP's point/proposal assessed on length of contribution, though, does it?

And if this 'Agency' can indeed find a bona fide job that's going to stand up to full scrutiny and rules of evidence in Court, then maybe the Gvt/JobCenter/etc. had better take a leaf out of its book :hihi:

There's nothing wrong with benefits as such, but plenty wrong with their 'tentacular' structure and administration: the system is abused because it can be abused, by imperfect design or omission...not to mention the flagrant de-responsibilisation of all involved, from claimants to civil service/admin bodies and employees. The issue in that system is the same as with all non-private systems (including nationalised industries at some time or other): there is a loss of understanding of what constitutes value for money, or even the very value of money.

Fix the system (law, rules, criteria), not the outcome (£).

This is not true. Working people on low incomes can also claim housing and council tax benefit; even income support, if their income is low enough.
Actually, what I said is true, read the post again.

Those who's working income is higher than the income of someone on benefit will not be eligible for any discount of rebate. Therefore they are paying out more which can often leave them no better off, possibly worse off than someone on benefit.

Those who's working income is higher than the income of someone on benefit will not be eligible for any discount of rebate. Therefore they are paying out more which can often leave them no better off, possibly worse off than someone on benefit.

That's not true. Certain benefits are paid at a staggered rate as income rises, and so they still receive help, but a proprtionately lower rate. To say otherwise is disingenuous at best.

I know that the system can be easily abused, but this is the governments fault. Look at the bigger picture. Some people on benefits might actually deserve more money than some of the low earners.

That's not true. Certain benefits are paid at a staggered rate as income rises, and so they still receive help, but a proprtionately lower rate. To say otherwise is disingenuous at best.
So what help is available to someone on nmw working 30 hrs a week?

I know that the system can be easily abused, but this is the governments fault. Look at the bigger picture. Some people on benefits might actually deserve more money than some of the low earners.
Why would someone who gets off their backside to make a living deserve less than someone who prefers state handouts.. and yes I know some people are to poorly to work so we'll disregard them.

So what help is available to someone on nmw working 30 hrs a week?

Depends on the size of the household, so it's impossible to answer directly, but potentially Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Local Housing Allowance or Housing Benefit, and Council Tax Benefit for a start.

Archived