What if dinosaurs had survived?

It's certainly true that creatures directly descended from dinosaurs, still exist. Your comments are not "wrong," but I feared they might mislead. :cool:

Or Im just some nutter :hihi:

No I know what your saying about the definition.

Crocks are amazing, they have been around that long that they reckon their immune system is second to none and probably what went a long way to their survival. That and they can store food in the cool deep water keeping it fresh for quite a while and like other lizards can have a big meal and not have another for sometime. Don't they kind of hibernate or something also or slow their metabolism right down ?

All adding to why they could have survived where others did not.

Almost certainly not. However it's possible that some dinosaur species would have developed intelligence and evolved into something approximating us. <snip>

Some believe that the so called "greys"(the alleged alien race, allegedly responsible for the alleged alien abductions of humans<just covering my back there>actually evolved from what we know to be dinosaurs. What do you make of it?

I've never heard of a case of alien abduction which is not satisfactorily explained by sleep paralysis.

That said, it's quite possible that there was some intelligent form of dinosaur which has left no remains. The number of skeletons dug out of the ground, as a percentage of the number of animals that actually lived, is incomparably tiny; moreover, fossils tend to form when animals suffocate in thick mud, and intelligent creatures are likely to avoid that fate except in cases of sudden catastrophe.

If the human race were wiped out by asteroid impact tomorrow, the chance of any evidence that we ever existed still surviving after fifty million years is so close to zero as to make no difference. Therefore, no evidence of an intelligent dinosaur life, is not evidence of no intelligent dinosaur life. (Although, where both things are possible, Occam's Razor demands that we assume the least complicated one - in this case, by assuming that dinosaurs did not develop intelligence.)

How would life on earth have turned out if dinosaurs had survived?

Would we(humans)still have become what we are regardless?. Would we exist at all?.

Would our intelligence still have developed, or would our mental capacity have been restricted as a result of having to avoid becoming a dinosaurs dinner?.

Weren't dinosaurs vegetarians?

I reckon they would have gobbled up all the forests hundreds of years ago and become exitinct soon afterwards anyway

Many were, including the largest of them all, the sauropods; many others were not, Tyrannosaurus Rex being the most famous carnivorous dinosaur of them all.

Old T Rex had a brain the size of a pea though. Humans would have very quickly found a way to wipe them out.

Old T Rex had a brain the size of a pea though. Humans would have very quickly found a way to wipe them out.

That is certainly true. If modern humans co-existed alongside dinosaurs, it is far more likely that we would make them extinct, than vice versa.

However, if dinosaurs had not been wiped out, I don't think it would ever have been possible for humans to evolve. There was a long period of evolution which led to us, all stages of which would have merely presented the dinosaurs with a very easy snack. That's why large and varied mammals never did evolve during the dinosaurs' long reign, but only after they had passed on.

If humans coexisted with dinosaurs, then humans wouldn't have the opportunity to settle down, to form civilisations and develop technology would they?

Archived