This library did exist..didn't it?

..or am i just imagining it? lol

It was on Barnsley Road in the building that now has the Joblot.

I would realy like to see a picture of the artwork that was on the walls of the staircase that led up to the library, but there seems to be NO evidence of this library's existence on Google :confused:

i got practically brought up in there, it was upstairs from the joblot which was then hillards, the 75/76 bus terminus was right outside, the banking on barnsley rd outside was where we used to watch the star walk every may bank holiday, happy happy times :)

i got practically brought up in there, it was upstairs from the joblot which was then hillards, the 75/76 bus terminus was right outside, the banking on barnsley rd outside was where we used to watch the star walk every may bank holiday, happy happy times :)

When i was about 10, 11, 12, i used to be in there often reading the space/ufo, paranormal and bird books.

I can't believe that typing "library Barnsley road sheffield" into google brings up nothing! :suspect:

I second this. Spot on. You definately wasn't imagining it.:hihi:

When i was about 10, 11, 12, i used to be in there often reading the space/ufo, paranormal and bird books.

I can't believe that typing "library Barnsley road sheffield" into google brings up nothing! :suspect:

i've tried looking it up aswell - only thing i got was late night pharmacies and old sf topics :huh:

I was the librarian there during the 1980s. It was called Lane Top Library and was indeed situated above Hillard's supermarket. It was handy being at the bus terminus, but we had a lot of trouble with drunks peeing through the letter box. My greatest achievement, I felt, during my time there, was to have a heavy duty spring attached to the letter box. I often wonder how many we caught.

i would love to go up there one last time as i don't think its ever been anything else since it was a library - i remember being lifted into a small circular cushioned area with a round wooden fence around it but that would have been the 70's, my mother and all my aunts worked in the cinema/bingo hall on barnsley rd, i think it was a cinema early 70's then bingo hall and bandits as soon as you entered early 80's but i could be wrong, either way i was dead happy those days and i won't ever forget them.

i remember being lifted into a small circular cushioned area with a round wooden fence around it .

That was still there in the 80's. We had to clean the cushions a few times, as the little ones would get excited at story time and wee on them. I'm sure that wasn't you...

We had a regular readership from the families around and very good contacts with St Patrick's and Hartley Brook schools. I used to visit them with bags of books and read to the children in class.

It was a lively and happy place where children were made most welcome and people came to us with queries and problems which we did our best to help with. Do you remember the friezes and posters all around the children's area and Wendy, the Children's Library Assistant?

Glad to know you had good memories of Lane Top Library.

i would love to go up there one last time as i don't think its ever been anything else since it was a library - i remember being lifted into a small circular cushioned area with a round wooden fence around it but that would have been the 70's, my mother and all my aunts worked in the cinema/bingo hall on barnsley rd, i think it was a cinema early 70's then bingo hall and bandits as soon as you entered early 80's but i could be wrong, either way i was dead happy those days and i won't ever forget them.

Please..... don't go back !!!! You really won't like what you see now and it will taint your lovely memories.

Happy Memories indeed :) I too worked there with Wendy & Irene, remember it as if was yesterday. Strange there's no photograhs, I've tried Picture Sheffield to no avail. Remembering other libraries I've worked at that no longer exist ........... Tinsley (the old one on the roundabout), Attercliffe, High Green, Grenoside, Firth Park (the old one on Firth Park Road), Burngreave (the old one), Concord (in the school), Chapeltown (the old one), oh how times have changed, 'risque' books were kept under the counter with blocks of wood on the shelves in their place, the borrower used to have to risk embarrassment by approaching the counter with a wooden block in their hand :) writing on the library tickets using nib & ink pens, 'call booking' when staff had to go knocking on doors trying to retrieve overdue library books, the abuse we faced & I remember once having a milk bottle thrown at us from a bedroom window. Having said that, I enjoyed every minute of my 32 years working for Sheffield City Libraries, I was Childrens Librarian at Parson Cross Library for many years, organising Childrens activities, film shows & the like (when money was no object) & seeing the kiddies grow up & raising children of their own, even now I regularly see folk that remember me from way back when, recognising me from times gone by ...............

Archived