Should council houses have long term tenancies?

My daughter [and her friends] all tried to get council HOUSES for the only purpose of getting onto the housing ladder cheaply.

“You can’t have your cake and eat it” unless you have a council house that is, how can we have a debate about social housing and them blatantly say I only want one so I can sell it.

When they first started selling council houses I think my Gran could have bought hers for just over £2000 but the thought never crossed her mind oh how times have changed.

What would you say to taking it one step further and all people who live alone in a large private house are forced to sell up and downgrade.
Not very much at all (but for a commiserating look at you :D), since such people have paid all (.../most/some) of their life for the privilege of living alone in that large private house.

To spell it out: that large private house belongs to them (in title, if the mortgage is paid up), whereas a council house belongs to the Council (in title). Simples, I'd have thought... :rolleyes:

if the tories brought this in...you watch council tennants rush to buy their houses...
Ah, you're beginning to twig, eastbank. Many on this thread do not appear to be, yet ;)

I didn't tink for one minute it would to you.

The simple fact that it would create less council housing available is enough.

Never mind the moral side of it, splitting long standing communities and families up.

Would never have put you down for being Irish, Alex!

Would never have put you down for being Irish, Alex!
LOL. But no, can't be, given his apparent stance on the subject (as compared with the Irish common/general attitude towards property ;)). Although...

<...>Heres one to stir the pot up, also give priority to families of this country before people who have spent weeks here.

That will stir the thread up.

...that is very Irish, actually :D (I'm aware -hoping?- it was said in jest)

“You can’t have your cake and eat it” unless you have a council house that is, how can we have a debate about social housing and them blatantly say I only want one so I can sell it.

When they first started selling council houses I think my Gran could have bought hers for just over £2000 but the thought never crossed her mind oh how times have changed.

I'm not after anything I own my house.

What I am saying is what is actually happening.

Some people are after council property purely for the right to buy scheme.

I agree with the 10 year tenancy ... after all if you are still in the same position 10 years down the road that you require subsidised social housing then you should be eligble for it, providing your family circumstances haven't changed

LOL. But no, can't be, given his apparent stance on the subject (as compared with the Irish common/general attitude towards property ;)). Although...

...that is very Irish, actually :D (I'm aware -hoping?- it was said in jest)

I don't know about Irish but you print a lot of gibberish.

I agree with the 10 year tenancy ... after all if you are still in the same position 10 years down the road that you require subsidised social housing then you should be eligble for it, providing your family circumstances haven't changed

Can you explain what you mean by subsidised?.

Do the council make a loss on their rented houses?.

I honestly don't know.

Can you explain what you mean by subsidised?.

Do the council make a loss on their rented houses?.

I honestly don't know.

It has to be subsidised at the rents they charge. I understand tenants don't pay water rates and up until not so long ago didn't pay council rates. I was 'in with the rent'.

Archived