Should council houses have long term tenancies?

It has to be subsidised at the rents they charge. I understand tenants don't pay water rates and up until not so long ago didn't pay council rates. I was 'in with the rent'.

You understand wrongly, all council tenants pay full water rates even if their circumstances mean that they don't pay any rent or council tax at all.

Every council tenant has always paid council tax (formerly rates) unless they qualified for a rate rebate.

Agreed the new social housing does but it will be reflected in the rent. When you mention affordable ... is that so they can afford more lunchtime drinking instead of going to work?

People in the estate pubs at lunch time are -

1 - Not always residents of that estate

2 - Not always council tenants - some have bought their houses

3 - Not always unemployed - many people work shifts

4 - Not always working age - some are pensioners

You seem to be too quick at labelling everyone as council tenants & scroungers.

You don't know the circumstances of most of the people you are sticking a label on so your arguments are based on guesswork and your prejudice.

What's so wrong with council tenants anyway?

I would guess that, like every section of society, there will be some good and some bad apples among them.

I don't drink either noon or night but, people who are doing no wrong are entitled to spend their money as they please - at least, they are helping to keep the pubs open and keeping others in jobs at the same time.

Here you are....

David Cameron announces plan to end lifetime council tenancies

Council homes for life to be replaced by tenancies lasting as little as five years based on need and income

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/aug/03/lifetime-council-tenancies-contracts-cameron

are they going to throw these asilam seekers out then who have been given 4 beddroom houses for nowt

It has to be subsidised at the rents they charge. I understand tenants don't pay water rates and up until not so long ago didn't pay council rates. I was 'in with the rent'.

you understand wrong then!

water rates are paid by the tenatnt in full its not including in there rent, although some councils add it on to the rent so it is paid by the tentant through the council to the water board.

how recent was this tenants not having to pay council rates supposed to be? because they certainly havn't been dealt with like that for the last 10 years thats why there's council tax benefit as well as housing benefit.

Remember the poll tax riots?.

Council tennants paid rates then.

The tories like a good riot.

was that before or after the oldham riot.....just asked our pensioners about giving up there 3 bed houses and move to a grotty flat....their reply was...if they do....there's going to be a riot...happy days..

the rest said they would gladly give them up...if the council stumped up £100.000....happy days

you understand wrong then!

water rates are paid by the tenatnt in full its not including in there rent, although some councils add it on to the rent so it is paid by the tentant through the council to the water board.

how recent was this tenants not having to pay council rates supposed to be? because they certainly havn't been dealt with like that for the last 10 years thats why there's council tax benefit as well as housing benefit.

i was a council tenant for 30 years and i always paid rates coucil and water

Archived