Should council houses have long term tenancies?

sorry to disagree but it is your home it may be the governments house and property . and anyway all this slaging off of council tenants is wrong most council tenants put lots of money into thier homes and gardens ( we use B& Q homebase, focus ) too you Know and spend thousands on our homes the labour government built affordable houses for ALL starting in the 1940s why should I have to move from my nice home to somewhere that maybe run down and let somebody else have the fruits of our labour

And what about CAMERONS BIG SOCIETY breaking up communities by moving people out of thier homes another will that make a big society "dont think so" TURN ON COUNCIL TENANTS "we do live breath and feel you Know"

There are so many families desperate to get adequate council accommodation, that various councils have already been looking for ways to encourage people who don't need their large houses to downsize. Its been an issue that housing organisations have been trying to address for a while.

Some local authorities offer money per room given up, plus help for moving, and a choice of suitable properties. Aberdeen offer £1000 per bedroom given up, and in Barnsley: Tenants who are currently under occupying a 3 or 4 bedroom council home and are willing to move into specific bedsit or 1 bedroom homes advertised under the Homeseeker scheme, will be offered an incentive of £2,500 to downsize. For someone on a low income the reduced heating costs in a smaller property could also be worth considering as well as a cash sum?

Forcing someone out isn't a good idea. However, I see nothing wrong in persuading people to consider downsizing. If housing benefit won't pay for a single person in a private rented three bedroomed house, should it pay for a single person in a three bedroomed council house?

i was saying that if all the people on here are saying that they should be moved out of council housing after a set number of years why private rent?they are still not bettering themselves but probably getting deeper into debt because of the high rents the private landlords want :huh:

If their fortunes improved, they'd probably want to exercise their Right to Buy anyway. Unless the government remove it (or at least reduce the discounts again) the shortage of council housing will keep getting worse.

I live in a council property and am hopefully about to undergo disability adaptions to it. Now, in my understanding, as I'm already a tenant, this won't apply to me, but what about other people needing adapted properties? Will the council pay for adaptions to be done, only to move them out in a few years? Will the tenants be able to find suitable adapted accommodation in the private sector?

And if the rules don't apply to disabled tenants, then won't people start moaning about discrimination somewhere down the line?

If their fortunes improved, they'd probably want to exercise their Right to Buy anyway. Unless the government remove it (or at least reduce the discounts again) the shortage of council housing will keep getting worse.

people on here are saying if after x number of years people should have bettered themselves and should be buying .in an ideal world everyone would buy their own homes but some people in life are never going to do that due to circumstances .the government needs to pull its finger out and get rebuilding these houses :huh:and if they are still insisting on getting rid of tenents after x number of years i wonder how many mps or mps family members are private landlords and ready to cash in on this :hihi:

I think council tenants should have a tenancy for life, but I don't see why it should be passed onto their offspring. However,this whole discussion in the media and elsewhere ignores the plight of private sector tenants - Thatcher's lot cut tenants' rights from under them, so that assured tenancies became a thing of the past. 6 and 12 month tenancies became the norm. I'm no transient, and having to worry about being asked to move every 6 mths, with a house full of furniture, is MEGA stressful! Not to mention the removal costs, and letting agents rip-off fees every time they let a property to me. wannabee landlords want a quick pension pot, and don't realise that investment is for the long term - they jump off the letting wagon when it suits them, or want tenants to keep a property warm until their student off-spring want it, then its bye-bye tenant. I agree with what others have posted - it may be the landlord (or the govt's) house, but it's MY home! And while you have to rent privately, there's always about £600 of your own cash you'll never see, 'cos its tied up in a bond.

Don't make me laugh that there's only so much people will take before they rebel - people in this country have accepted every erosion of their rights and liberties that's pushed their way, and no one has stood up against any of it. Nor will they ever do more than complain on sites like this.

I live in a council property and am hopefully about to undergo disability adaptions to it. Now, in my understanding, as I'm already a tenant, this won't apply to me, but what about other people needing adapted properties? Will the council pay for adaptions to be done, only to move them out in a few years? Will the tenants be able to find suitable adapted accommodation in the private sector?

And if the rules don't apply to disabled tenants, then won't people start moaning about discrimination somewhere down the line?

honeyb, that is the exact same query I raised in another thread about this suggestion a few months ago.

move into a property, wait 3 or four years to get the adaptations authorised, ans get it adapted suitably for your needs.

After five years there, tenancy "finishes" because the time limit is up,

Move to another property.

Wait another three or four years for the necessary adaptations to THAT property.

After five years there, tenancy "finishes" because the time limit is up,

Move to another property.

Wait another three or four years for the necessary adaptations to THAT property.

rinse and repeat, ad infinitum.

As you have said, would the council think it a good use of their resources to be paying tens of thousands of pounds of their precious monies every five years or so to adapt houses for people who are already in properties that've been adapted for their needs?

You are diving in with sentimental values rather than practical ones, my mother didn’t want to move but now realises it’s the best thing that could have happened.

In the private sector sheltered accommodation is big business for those downsizing, there is no reason why social housing shouldn’t be going down the same route.

My Mother didn't want to move either but we persuaded her...her flat is brand new and beautiful but she hates it and 7 months down the line still pines for her house where she has her memories, she talks most days about the house, she talks about the garden and the plants she grew in it, she cries because she cannot go out unaided into the fresh air, she is now on anti depressants becoming increasingly confused and giving up on life.

It wasn't the best thing that my Mum ever did and nor will it be for others who may find themselves pushed out of their home of 40 years.

It won't be best for the people who although have done nothing wrong will have the constant worry that they may be put out of their home on a whim of the council.

Life isn't all about bricks, mortar and finances, life and the happiness of that life depends on many things, security being one of them, this is also about the lives of Human beings.

My Mother didn't want to move either but we persuaded her...her flat is brand new and beautiful but she hates it and 7 months down the line still pines for her house where she has her memories, she talks most days about the house, she talks about the garden and the plants she grew in it, she cries because she cannot go out unaided into the fresh air, she is now on anti depressants becoming increasingly confused and giving up on life.

It wasn't the best thing that my Mum ever did and nor will it be for others who may find themselves pushed out of their home of 40 years.

It won't be best for the people who although have done nothing wrong will have the constant worry that they may be put out of their home on a whim of the council.

Life isn't all about bricks, mortar and finances, life and the happiness of that life depends on many things, security being one of them, this is also about the lives of Human beings.

Well said, I fully agree

council strike again mate.....nice street no bother for years...then they move in two chavs and a staffie....staffie has mates cat....all hell lets loose....coppers come to restore order....before the watch move in...and peace is resumed....

and you want the old ones to give up their houses so families from hell can move in.....no chance...happy days

Council strike again, nice block with a young couple expecting their second child enjoying life with lovelly neighbours.

One neighbour dies and they move two smack heads in, one a schizophrenic rolling about in his own sick and screaming all night.

Lovelly block is now a place of terror for the older people and the familly expecting their new baby have had deliveries going missing off the door step.

Archived