Should council houses have long term tenancies?

No-one is saying move them out after a set number of years...it's only if their circumstances have improved (as I understand it anyway) that their tenancies may be curtailed...

If their circumstances have improved for the better, do you honestly think that people would prefer to live in social housing?

If employers paid proper wages for their staff, I reckon the first thing they would do is look to buy their own home. Some tenant's cannot afford to buy their council properties at the reduced rate and let's be honest, who would want to considering a lot of council houses are substandard dwellings?

If their circumstances have improved for the better, do you honestly think that people would prefer to live in social housing?

Depends how much they're wanting to spend on accommodation...some will,some won't..if they're that bad who do people want to buy ex-council houses..?

Forcing someone out isn't a good idea. However, I see nothing wrong in persuading people to consider downsizing. If housing benefit won't pay for a single person in a private rented three bedroomed house, should it pay for a single person in a three bedroomed council house?

They don't, they intend changing the rules from 2013!

In one respect this is positive from the Government as it does show some joined up thinking, in that their Housing policy will supplement their intended Housing Benefit changes.

From a negative perspective it seems to conflict with their target of reducing Benefit and Administration costs, moving people out into the Private Sector will increase Housing Benefit and Administration costs via Homeless applications.

Plans are a bit sketchy on this at the moment, but it seems that the new Government are looking to remove the rights to security of tenure for Council Tenants and their families.

So if I understand this correctly, you will spend up to ten years making your home into what you want it to be only for the Council to take it off you and to force you out into another home in the private sector.

Of course it will also mean that they can then sell the home you’ve spent your time and money on onto someone else and benefit from the vastly increased property prices.

Well at least we can rely on the Libdems standing up for the rights of long standing tenants, can’t we Nick?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-10855996

Why should some people get a house for life for next to nothing rent when a lot of other people are struggling to pay their mortgage?

Depends how much they're wanting to spend on accommodation...some will,some won't..if they're that bad who do people want to buy ex-council houses..?

Council houses were often built to better standards than private housing - and if you happened to have one in nice area - what a bonus! I can remember a manager who I worked for 20+ years ago, buying his council house in Doncaster. He could easily have afforded to buy on the open market like others on similar salaries, but preferred not to. Was he being selfish by depriving less fortunate people of being rehoused in the future, or just being canny?

It's not off topic because a 92 year old woman lived in the property before and died in it.

If the council move people like her out of their homes these ghettos are going to quickly develop and the community spirit destroyed for the long term residents.

Withing 2 weeks people who have been happy for over twenty years are now terrified to go out.

These are the situations the government proposals will cause.

OK - so what should have happened when the 92 year old tenant died? How do you think properties should be allocated?

Councils are bound by legislation and in some cases they have a duty to rehouse people who may not live in what would be to most of us, an acceptable manner. Can landlords always tell beforehand? And how do they get to know unless people report the problems. They can't say to an applicant 'you don't look like a nice person, so we're not rehousing you'. Social housing nowadays exists mainly to house people in need. That means people who might be vulnerable, and who may live chaotic lives. There is support available for tenants to change their behaviour, or as a last resort, eviction. But the landlord needs to be made aware.

BTW, I've asked more than once what other residents in the area have done to make the council/Sheffield Homes aware, but you haven't answered that question.

OK - so what should have happened when the 92 year old tenant died? How do you think properties should be allocated?

Councils are bound by legislation and in some cases they have a duty to rehouse people who may not live in what would be to most of us, an acceptable manner. Can landlords always tell beforehand? And how do they get to know unless people report the problems. They can't say to an applicant 'you don't look like a nice person, so we're not rehousing you'.

BTW, I've asked more than once what other residents in the area have done to make the council/Sheffield Homes aware, but you haven't answered that question.

Take a chill pill.

I thought your comment about the other residents was advice and am gratefull of it.

The number you gave has already been passed on to the people along with your advice.

As for allocating houses to certain groups of people, well I can't answer that question but do know that people on methadone treatment are in the system and putting them in blocks of six people with no experience of this is not suitable, Also schizo's where there are children.

They do have over 40's blocks of flats but don't seem to stick by it.

Anyway thanks for the advice you have given and it has been passed on.

One resident is talking of leaving and going to rent privately, others who have bought their flats cannot do this.

but do know that people on methadone treatment are in the system and putting them in blocks of six people with no experience of this is not suitable,

my older brother is on a methodone programe (now on the lowest level and doing great) but just because he had probs with drugs did not mean he was a menice to his neighbours, at the end of the day no one forces people to get of drugs and start a methodone programe thats a choice they made to improve there own standard of life.

Also schizo's where there are children.

schizophrenia is a medical condition (and i'm asuming you have spoken to him to confirm he has this condition?!?) schizophenia can be controlled quite easyily with medication, your making it sound as though no one with schizophrenia should be near children. if someone had down syndrome would your outlook be the same?

if there inconsiderate noisey neighbours then fine report them i sure as hell would, as for the deliverys - there should be a card left stating who the parcel was left with, if there isn't claim of the delivery companys insurance - thats what its for.

but its not mental health conditions and drug rehabilatation programes that make neighbours inconsiderate, thats a choice they have conciously made for them selfs

my older brother is on a methodone programe (now on the lowest level and doing great) but just because he had probs with drugs did not mean he was a menice to his neighbours, at the end of the day no one forces people to get of drugs and start a methodone programe thats a choice they made to improve there own standard of life.

schizophrenia is a medical condition (and i'm asuming you have spoken to him to confirm he has this condition?!?) schizophenia can be controlled quite easyily with medication, your making it sound as though no one with schizophrenia should be near children. if someone had down syndrome would your outlook be the same?

if there inconsiderate noisey neighbours then fine report them i sure as hell would, as for the deliverys - there should be a card left stating who the parcel was left with, if there isn't claim of the delivery companys insurance - thats what its for.

but its not mental health conditions and drug rehabilatation programes that make neighbours inconsiderate, thats a choice they have conciously made for them selfs

To answer your points.

No one forces people to become heroin addicts in the first place and become bad mannered ignorrant people to the new neighbours they have just moved next to. I never said anything about your brother unless he is the one living in the place I was speaking of.

Claiming insurance for stolen property doesn't make the theft ok in the first place. :loopy:.

It is not the neighbours who are ignorrant it the people who are rolling about in their own spew on the landing in front of them, or blasting music out all night, running in and out of the flat argueing etc etc.:rant:.

Finally mental health and drug problems DO make people inconsiderate neighbours in this case, if you think otherwise please tell me why they are behaving like filthy iconsiderate animals.

Right to finish off I am glad your brother is doing ok and got the backing of his familly.

However that has no bearing on this situation.

as for the deliverys - there should be a card left stating who the parcel was left with, if there isn't claim of the delivery companys insurance - thats what its for.

Does that make it right that a childs birthday present was stolen off the doorstep?.:loopy:.

People should not have to claim for anything if others kept their thieving hands off their property.:rant:.

Archived