Are children more argumentative than adults?

I've just seen this on a locked thread (not one I've contributed to I might add!):

However if you persist in behaving like small children I will treat you as such, if there are any more reports of arguing or insults from this thread it will be deleted and the perpetrators may find their access to the board restricted.

It seems a bit strange to suggest that arguing with and insulting people is behaviour that is unique, or most closely associated with small children. To argue you need to be certain of your own views, and children are much more fluid in this than adults.

Is this just a use of language designed to assert authority over people (you're the child therefore I must be the adult, so listen to me) or am I wrong, and in fact most arguments occur between children?

I've just seen this on a locked thread (not one I've contributed to I might add!):

However if you persist in behaving like small children I will treat you as such, if there are any more reports of arguing or insults from this thread it will be deleted and the perpetrators may find their access to the board restricted.

It seems a bit strange to suggest that arguing with and insulting people is behaviour that is unique, or most closely associated with small children. To argue you need to be certain of your own views, and children are much more fluid in this than adults.

Is this just a use of language designed to assert authority over people (you're the child therefore I must be the adult, so listen to me) or am I wrong, and in fact most arguments occur between children?

...it was especially ironic that the appeal calling for posters to stop behaving like children, in itself contained challenging invective!

I think children probably are more argumentative, but not in an argumentative way, if that makes sense. Good way of learning stuff.

..indeed, and what is a forum for, if not to exchange views of differing opinion, which in many cases will be strongly held and asserted?

The problem with the views expressed on the thread concerned was that they didn't relate to the topic, and I hold my hand up to my own contribution to that.

I think children probably are more argumentative, but not in an argumentative way, if that makes sense. Good way of learning stuff.

I think I see what you mean - so if arguing is a good way of learning - testing one's views against those of others and all that - why is it discouraged in adults do you think?

Archived