Yorkshire Ripper bids to challenge 'whole life' tariff

Having been told recently that he will spend the rest of his life in prison, Peter Sutcliffe is challenging the decision

Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe has started a bid to challenge a High Court order that he can never be released from prison.

Last month a judge refused an application made by the 64-year-old to have a minimum term set to give him the chance of parole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10867677

He's obviously not too enamoured of prison life.

Having been told recently that he will spend the rest of his life in prison, Peter Sutcliffe is challenging the decision

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10867677

He's obviously not too enamoured of prison life.

Is that his picture to the left of your thread? It certainly looks like him! Was it the moment when he was told that life meant life? It certainly made his hair stand on end!:hihi::hihi:

Is that his picture to the left of your thread? It certainly looks like him! Was it the moment when he was told that life meant life? It certainly made his hair stand on end!:hihi::hihi:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

...and after a good holiday ;)

The story is a little confusing. He was, I believe, given a tariff - which was whole-life. The latter sentence suggests that the judge refused to set a tariff at all.

I cant remember the full story, but I think he was one of those indeterminate lifers who had never had a minimum sentence set. The previous hearing I think formally endorsed what I suspect he and the rest of us already knew.

I cant remember the full story, but I think he was one of those indeterminate lifers who had never had a minimum sentence set. The previous hearing I think formally endorsed what I suspect he and the rest of us already knew.

You're correct, he never had a tariff set; his original court bid was an attempt to get one.

This story reads as if the judge refused to set one, whereas, as I understand it, he did set one and it was "whole life." Sutcliffe is now appealing to get the whole-life tariff reduced, rather than appealing against a refusal to have a tariff set.

Either way, he will never get out.

This story reads as if the judge refused to set one, whereas, as I understand it, he did set one and it was "whole life." Sutcliffe is now appealing to get the whole-life tariff reduced, rather than appealing against a refusal to have a tariff set.

Ah, I see your point, yes that is what it looks like, hopefully the judge will accede to his request, and knock a couple of years off 'whole life' ;)

Archived