Help with college fees on JSA?

Can I get college course fee help if on Income Based JSA?

Hi,

I'm struggling to find a job in the current climate and was thinking of doing a college course to try and help me specify in something. Something like getting my maths to a grade C or Beauty therapy.

I am on income based JSA the one where you get free dentistry and prescriptions, so would I get any help with course fees? They are so expensive I wouldn't be able to without.

Thanks for any help

You will get a course free if you are on a means-tested benefit, but there will be a £30 registration fee on enrolment. Full details are on The Sheffield College's website:

http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/index.cfm?pid=b15bba0b-c02a-4d42-bec6-1aad58dc80ee

Surely if you are at college you aren't entitled to job seekers allowance cos you aren't available for work?!

but if the OP is positioning himself for where the work is?......they really should relax that restriction not everyone is out to just go from course to course and be a waster, far more is wasted now anyway.....if i were the OP go to an MP and state your case, push it and get others to push with you, MP's don't want too much negative press on top of what they have now.

Surely if you are at college you aren't entitled to job seekers allowance cos you aren't available for work?!

Depends on what kind of course it is. If it's classed as a full-time study course, then you can't claim benefits. Best bet is to talk to the college first and find out - they'll probably be able to advise.

I did a beauty course at college and i lived by myself and had to support myself even though i could only work 2 days on a very low income and i had to pay for my course which was £1285.00 and my kit and uniform cost just over £300.00, then i couldnt even get ALG which its £30 a week like EMA because my grades were too high from school. I didnt clame 1 single benefit and i got through it and now im earning a good wage as i have decided to go self employed.

I did a beauty course at college and i lived by myself and had to support myself even though i could only work 2 days on a very low income and i had to pay for my course which was £1285.00 and my kit and uniform cost just over £300.00, then i couldnt even get ALG which its £30 a week like EMA because my grades were too high from school. I didnt clame 1 single benefit and i got through it and now im earning a good wage as i have decided to go self employed.

Bravo and congratulations to you hope you do very well your sheer determinations shows your not prepared to wait for hand outs good on ya :clap::clap::clap:

Archived