I have a serious problem, I can't stop biting my nails!

I was thinking of gloves too. Or joining a nail bitters anonymous support group? Or make an agreement with your GF, every time she catches you biting, you pay her £5.

Or, you could try introspection or hypnosis or some such like, trying to be aware of the root reason you're doing it; then address the cause (rather than focusing on the effect, as you are doing now). Are you nervous? Or unrelaxed in yourself. Perhaps you have too much mental energy? Learning to meditate or relax and become more deeply aware of your self; may stop you biting.

Try classic aversion therapy. Every time you catch yourself biting your nails, hit yourself on the head with a mallet or rub some shampoo in your eyes.

I just dont realise i'm doing it, then reailse when my figers sore that i bit too much.

I just dont realise i'm doing it, then reailse when my figers sore that i bit too much.

Do what I suggested!

Do it (just humour me if you don't believe in it) and report back. With nothing to 'worry', your teeth will have nothing to nibble at.

Go on, I dare you....... :)

Get an emery board, and keep them filed really smoothly.

Until the damaged bits grow out, file every rough bit you can find. After a bit, you should be able to stop filing over the bed of the nail but still keep filing the length so it's almost indistinguishable from your fingers.

You'll probably find that if there's nothing interesting to go at (which there won't be because it'll all be smooth) you'll have nothing to pick at so won't be able to keep biting them.

Once you seem to have lost interest in them, you can try letting them grow a little but still make sure you prevent any tempting rough bits!

You sound like someone with experience.

+1 for the above solution.

You sound like someone with experience.

+1 for the above solution.

Well, actually, I don't bite my nails. However, if I have a rough bit then I find myself picking and nibbling compulsively away until it hurts. That's how I know how to combat it!

* thrusts forward immaculate nails for inspection* :)

As I said, I have tried all these and variations of and at the end I'd the day like I said, I can always just wash my hands then continue... And it really doesn't taste that horrid, and the taste only lasts a few seconds at most :/

Make your mind up - you can't be biting your nails without realising you're doing it, yet manage to ignore the taste of whatever you put on them to remind you not to! And if it washes off, you just need to re-apply it.

Archived