I have a serious problem, I can't stop biting my nails!

Thats all you need a wake up call to be able consciously be able to step in and stop. Something nasty tasting would do it or some old woolen gloves like my son uses to do the same.

A soon as the glove or bad taste hits you you'll stop trying and over time the habit will be broken.

Just stop chewing when you get to your wrists :evil:

Seriously, ShSheff's solution is the best one, imo. If you keep your nails filed really short and cuticles really smooth, there'll be nothing to get your teeth round and nibble.

And you'll have lovely nails in no time :)

I have a problem, being helpful to people, it's a total pain it the a$$. Here you go matey:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Biting-Your-Nails

This link is really useful.

I'd bitten my nails from childhood until about five ears ago (I'm now 62). I adopted a number of techniques, and the one that eventually worked for me was this one mentioned in the link....

"Pick at least one nail to "protect" at a time.

After a few days, an non-bitten nail will flourish and reward you. Do not bite it. If you must, bite one of the 'unprotected' ones. Sometimes it helps knowing that you have another nail to bite, even if you don't actually nibble at any unprotected ones.Once you have grown your non-bitten nail for a while, start protecting another one. And another. And another, until every single nail is protected. "

Also, carry a nail clipper with you at all times (see link).

However, don't adopt the technique of constantly putting sweets in your mouth (in order to avoid biting your nails). I did this for many years, and only succeeded in losing my teeth! :roll::hihi:

I know your a guy but with a lot of people acrylic stops them biting because it doesn't feel the same so they don't want to bite them so you could get someone to do very short natural plain ones they would make your nails look normal and help them to grow properley. My friend stop biting hers when I told her that her nails would grow deformed if she carried on

I bite mine too, and when I stop, and they grow a bit, they always become a more attractive proposition..

Has anyone tried wearing false nails over your real nails? Just normal length ones, not the longer showy ones. Do they make anything like that?

This is probably the only solution for me. I have been nibbling away 50 odd years and nothing, but nothing has worked. :roll:

Is it the biting you like, or the chewing of the nail afterwards? I don't know why someone hasn't made synthetic nails to chew on - they could come in a packet like smarties, all different textures and sizes. Like nicorette for nail biters.

Is it the biting you like, or the chewing of the nail afterwards? I don't know why someone hasn't made synthetic nails to chew on - they could come in a packet like smarties, all different textures and sizes. Like nicorette for nail biters.

Nice idea; or even better, we could out-source! Just imagine, thousands of people employed in china, to bite off their nails, bag em up, and ship em over here!

Yummy! :gag:

Make your mind up - you can't be biting your nails without realising you're doing it, yet manage to ignore the taste of whatever you put on them to remind you not to! And if it washes off, you just need to re-apply it.

nah, I do bite them without realising, then the taste kicks in and I think "oh yeah, I put that stuff on... oh well" and continue...

*shrug* screwed up I know :/

Archived