The maypole shop

JOHN.P

Thanks DUFFEMS.

I do remember 'Gowers & Burgons' but in the back of my mind I seem to recall a grocers by the name of 'Gallons'. I could be wrong especially as it would be over 50 years ago !

But thanks for the reminder !

Thinking about it, I agree that the name "Gallons" is there in some dark little cranny in my mind, oh, don't you just hate that.

On "picturesheffield" there's a 1950's picture of Gallons Ltd. on the corner of Addy Street and Burlington Street, unfortunately, I don't know how to place it on here, just look under "G" on the drop down.

Duffems

Wasn't there a similar chain called the "Meadow" as well....for some reason that just flashed into my mind.

Yes, there were always choices of Gowers & Burgons, Meadow, Maypole and the Co-op as well as a plethora of little corner shops.

Thank you Schoolrdgal and Elmambo. I thought my memory served me right even though it was many years ago and yes, I also remember Shentalls and I think I can now also remember a shop called 'Gallons' ( I may need to be corrected ! ). Funny how things spring to mind when reading through this forum.

There were Shentalls and Gallons in the early 50s. Both were part of

a chain of shops.

As a kid I remember there being both of them, on Dykes Lane, among a group

of shops which I think would have opened, when the Wisewood

Estate was built.

Just seen this thread. There was also a Maypole shop on West St, opposite the Glossop Rd Swimmimg baths ( I remember going to those for a slipper bath) and you`re quite right, there was also a Gallons shop. The one my mother used to send me to was right down Broomhall St, almost opposite Percy`s Barbers. Anyone remember him?

Archived