The maypole shop

JOHN.P

Can anyone remember a shop on Crookes called, 'The Maypole'. I think it was a grocers on the opposite side of the main road to the Ball Inn. This must be at least 50 years ago, or is my memory playing tricks with the passing years !

Just looking in my old 1948 Kelly's Directory and the Maypole Dairy Co Ltd was at 195 Crookes along with 16 others around Sheffield.

Attercliffe Rd, Attercliffe Common,The Moor, Glossop Rd,Ecclesall Rd,London Rd,South Rd,Spital Hill,Staniforth Rd,Bradfield Rd,Chesterfield Rd,Duke St,Sheffield Rd,Page Hall Rd,Bellhouse Rd and 60 Fairleigh.

Thanks crustybread.

I see from your post that the 'Maypole' was at 195 Crookes. I used to own a business on Crookes many years ago, at 189-191 which I bought from 'Leapers'. My shop was on the main road just round the corner from Mulehouse Road directly opposite to 'Ballins' drapers. But in the back of my mind, I thought the 'Maypole' was opposite the Ball Inn much further down Crookes. I'm obviously wrong as the numbers show that my old business address and the 'Maypole' was closer than I had thought ! ---- Hummmm ! I think my age is catching up with me !!!!!

I've just been comparing the Maypole entries in various Sheffield directories. The 1942 Kelly's Directory shows 17 Maypole shops in the city, and crustybread indicated that there were also 17 branches in 1948. However, by 1967 the Crookes shop had closed and there were only five branches, which by 1972 had been reduced to two (on Prince of Wales Road and Hastilar Road South). The Maypole chain of dairies/grocery shops evidently goes back to when George Watson opened the first Maypole shop in Wolverhampton in 1887, and by 1926 there were 1,000 shops, though they seem to have declined in the post-war period. Sic transit gloria....:(

Regarding Leaper's and their ointment - the 1968 directory (compiled in 1967) shows "B. Leaper, shopkeeper" at No 189 Crookes, and next door at 191 was "J.T. Leaper Ltd., manufacturing chemist". By 1972 "J. & P. Preston, drug store" was at 189/191.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone remember a shop on Crookes called, 'The Maypole'. I think it was a grocers on the opposite side of the main road to the Ball Inn. This must be at least 50 years ago, or is my memory playing tricks with the passing years !

im, new to the forum i do rember a maypole or meadow shop on hartley brook rd during the war.which shop had those catapult like machines that used to shoot the cash ect. to the office at the rear of the store?.facinated me as a kid. two of my aunts worked at shentalls at firth park. later on upon leaving school my first job was delivery boy for r.c hopkinsons on bellhouse rd right opposite wigfalls.my manager was stan earnshaw,[ex navy], girls there were beryl crapper.lived on lane,up to thorpe hesley,opposite deep lane[sorry senior moment],mary richards from hartley brook rd, fay alexander from the flower est. daffodill rd ? hopkinsons was part of thrift store ,chain,leeds fond memories.eightlegger [arthur]

Wasn't there a similar chain called the "Meadow" as well....for some reason that just flashed into my mind.

I had a Saturday job in a 'Meadow' shop when I was 14/15 way back in 1960! Like the Maypole, it was part of a chain, the one I worked in was in Dundee. We had to wear horrid white nylon overalls, that were never really white, and no matter how much they were washed they always seemed to smell of bacon. :D

My Mother used to drive the Maypole delivery van in the late 1950s to early 1960s

She used to keep the van in a garage behind Credlands Garage at Sheffield Lane Top and was based at the Bellhouse Road shop. When i was not at School i used to go around all the shops with her doing home deliveries for each shop, The shops i remember were Cumberland Street just of the bottom of the Moor the one at Crooks and i always enjoyed going to the Darnel shop because there was a Roast pork sandwich shop just around the corner, There were many more shops but i cant remember them all but i do recall

going to a lot of big houses in Broomhill and Fullwood where they still had servants like maids and cooks and housekeepers. Some of these Houses are now Banks and Offices and flats it seems a shame thinking back and its only about 50 years ago.

Archived