First Non Smoking Pub in The Area To Open 1 Nov

Mo

No, the Gardeners is not currently fully non-smoking. However there is a non-smoking room (the small one if you turn left instead of right as you go in) and smoking is not allowed at the bar.

However smoking is permitted in the conservatory and main lounge.

You are correct in the fact there was a survey form distributed. I will have to find out!

Originally posted by Classic Rock

By excluding smokers, you're excluding some big drinkers who keep the profits rolling in....that's from a business perspective.

Totally agree, I go out most weekends with a large group of mates and mates mates etc etc. The majority of the group smoke. Therefore we would not consider going to a non-smoking venue, so if a pub that we go to a lot decides to turn non-smoking, they will lose money from us! We are big drinkers :)

I don't get the logic of a non-smoking pub! cigarettes and alcohol are a fine coupling! I do think it's good to have the option of a non-smoking area though for those that don't like it.

Originally posted by Foxxx

Totally agree, I go out most weekends with a large group of mates and mates mates etc etc. The majority of the group smoke. Therefore we would not consider going to a non-smoking venue, so if a pub that we go to a lot decides to turn non-smoking, they will lose money from us! We are big drinkers :)

I don't get the logic of a non-smoking pub! cigarettes and alcohol are a fine coupling! I do think it's good to have the option of a non-smoking area though for those that don't like it.

All a pub or club needs is proper air cleaning apparatus and non smokers need never be troubled by it. It's an expense of course, but I see no reason why that, over time, atmospheric pollutant levels should be regulated in public buildings, by health and safety, just like verything else.

It's expensive stuff (air treatment eqpt) but it does the job; you can't install it everywhere (low beamed 16th century pub for example), but in newly refurbed places it should become mandatory.

Originally posted by robh

Surely the best answer is to have a no-smoking room as the Fat Cat has for over 20 years, then you get the choice.

The thing with NO SMOKING rooms is that the smoke doesn't know that it's supposed to stop at the door. Also unless you are not going to go to the bar or loo you have to pass through smoking areas. A thoroughly unpleasant business.

Originally posted by Mo

The thing with NO SMOKING rooms is that the smoke doesn't know that it's supposed to stop at the door. Also unless you are not going to go to the bar or loo you have to pass through smoking areas. A thoroughly unpleasant business.

I agree. Someone once equated non-smoking areas in pubs with non-p*ssing areas in swimming pools.

Originally posted by Foxxx

For a non smoker there is no logic connecting alcohol and cigarettes.

At my current (school) and previous (IT business) places of work, smokers are and were definetly in the minority and I am sure if we all went out and had the choice of a smoking or smoke-free pub we would definetly go for the latter.

Originally posted by panda79

bit of whingin goin on from the health do gooders

if i want to smoke in a bar /pub i will i WE LIVE IN A FREE COUNTRY

ahhh i feel better now

wers me cigs lol

And I shall then feel free to spit in your beer :P After all - it's a free country :thumbsup:

Archived