First Non Smoking Pub in The Area To Open 1 Nov

Mo

tony

u have a serious attitude problem

if you want a no smoking bar/pub go to one theres plenty of bars/pubs with no smoking sections go in one of those ....weird thing is the ones who are against smoking are so pro drugs but saying that all depends whats in with the right on crowd i spose

Hehe, sorry I'm in a mischevious mood tonight! I won't really spit in your beer :D Being serious for a mo' - I reckon that they will make everything no smoking in the next couple of years, and pubs / bars will have to prove that they have proper ventilation that can cope. [warning - rant on] It isn't very nice for a minority of the population to make everyone else uncomfortable with their poisonous habit. [rant off]

Originally posted by Mo

At last somebody has recognised that we don't all want to be choked on cigarette smoke as we have a drink, not to mention stinking like an old ashtray when we leave. Hooray.

As a non-smoker this sounds good to me. It allows the option of non-smokers having a drink in a smoke free environment if that's what they fancy.

However, I have the problem that out of my friends there's a mix between smokers and non-smokers. I go to regular pubs with both, but then that would mean having to go out without your mates who smoke when you want to go to a non-smoking pub. For me this would be a problem that might determine how often I were likely to go to a non-smoking pub. I'm sure my smoker friends would be quite happy going off to a place where they can smoke, but isn't the whole idea to go out together and not have to split up?

Also it means staying in the same pub the whole night, which might not take your fancy. Unless a whole load of non-smoking pubs opened up near each other then you could have a few bevvies in each. It seems to defeat the object if you were to have a few drinks in a non-smoking pub then go onto a regular pub afterwards. You'd still end up stinking at the end of the night.

I'm definately for it though, I hope it's a success but I'm not so sure ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I live in Leeds, can't stand smoke, enjoy drinking, heard about this pub. Decided to go to the Phoenix from now on. It means travelling on train but I'm prepared to do that.

It would be great if the landlord/lady opened a chain....

Is the Phoenix anywhere near a train station?

SMOKING WILL BE BANNED SOON.

We non smokers have a right to breathe fresh air, you smokers don't have rights to damage our health, so stub out....

Gaynor

I agree there should be pubs/bars where people can go and have a drink without being subjected to other peoples smoke but I just don't see why it has to be a blanket ban as suggested. Why not have a quota of smoking/non smoking places and pubs can either sign up to be one or the other, we'll see which have the most customers and the best atmosphere.

You can have all the shiny bars in town and I'll have the nice little pubs please :)

Leave the choice up to the customer!

Can't believe that DUBLIN of all places has become a non-smoking area. Admittedly I am a smoker, but I can't believe that this is the way to solve the problem - whilst the literature is not definitive on the issue of passive smoking, I agree that we should err on the sideof caution, but surely the issue is one of individual choice...

And Dublin (you can quote me on this) will be cack without fags.

I don't get it. Everyone's up in arms about passive smoking yet no one seems to worry about all the exhaust fumes most of us are forced to inhale on a daily basis.

Pubs and restaurants should have to install efficient air-scrubbers; not only to counter passive smoking but also to eliminate the risks of infection that reach very high levels in moist warm atmospheres.

A recent report shows that nose, throat and chest infections have risen dramatically amongst airline passengers since smoking was banned on aircraft. The reason is because the airlines have seen an opportunity to reduce costs by using less efficient air-scrubbers (if no one is smoking you can't see that the air is dirty) and not taking in fresh air which has to be expensively heated up to cabin temperature.

And if everyone did stop smoking where would Gordon Brown get the income from to compensate for all that lost excise duty ? I'd suggest he should double the duty on booze sold in smoke-free pubs :razz:

Originally posted by Greybeard

I don't get it. Everyone's up in arms about passive smoking yet no one seems to worry about all the exhaust fumes most of us are forced to inhale on a daily basis.

That's a bit like saying why bother curing mumps, measles is a lot bigger killer, don't you think?

The problems associated with exhaust fumes are also being addressed.

Archived