14 year old girl sailing solo around world.. Jeeez!

The way you write ''If I don't feel comfortable with something that my child is wanting to do, they won't do it, simple as!'' sugests (perhaps incorrectly) that you are the sort of person who would adopt a ''because I say so'' approach, rather than one of reasoned dialogoe and negotiation.
Not at all, I'm more than prepared to listen to what my kids have to say. I'm more than prepared to compromise with them providing they're asking within reason.

What I'm not prepared to do is to adopt a diminished sense of responsibility by down playing my obvious concerns for their welfare, thereby giving my kids the benefit of the doubt at every given opportunity, simply because their maturity exceeds their years.

Posted by Halibut

Children who don't feel listened to and who get told no, sometimes decide to go and do it (whatver the 'it' might be - having acontraceptive implant, smoking, sailing around the world, drinking...) anyway.

My children are often told no, as was I. Children always get the hump when told no, but would should a parent do?.. say yes!?

Hmm one point i'd like to raise to consider is that every minute of every day is filled with danger.

crossing the road a girl could get knocked over.

walking home could get raped or murdered

a wasp could fly in a open window and send her into anaphaletic (sp?) shock

could develope a blood clot on the brain

could have a premature stroke

could pass out and drown in the bath.

the fact of the matter is when your times up its up as simple as that, and preventing someone from ferfilling there dream isn't going to save them them when they could die from something completly different despite not letting them go.

lifes a danger why not achieve what we can and live to our greatest ability whilst we can.

smothering someone and never letting them live their live thier way is just crushing them mentaly

Hmm one point i'd like to raise to consider is that every minute of every day is filled with danger.

crossing the road a girl could get knocked over.

walking home could get raped or murdered

a wasp could fly in a open window and send her into anaphaletic (sp?) shock

could develope a blood clot on the brain

could have a premature stroke

could pass out and drown in the bath.

the fact of the matter is when your times up its up as simple as that, and preventing someone from ferfilling there dream isn't going to save them them when they could die from something completly different despite not letting them go.

lifes a danger why not achieve what we can and live to our greatest ability whilst we can.

smothering someone and never letting them live their live thier way is just crushing them mentaly

Never letting them live?, give over!.

While danger may lurk around every corner, why would it be necessary to increase the chances of your child running into it?

Never letting them live?, give over!.

While danger may lurk around every corner, why would it be necessary to increase the chances of your child running into it?

:roll: mis-quoting or what! i did not say never letting them live i said:

never letting them live their life their way.

Fair point. My question still stands though.

because i dont think it is adding more danger its just replacing some dangers with others, lets face it it cuts out the risk of being hit by a bus, being stabbed,raped, murdered,

I should think the odds of her coming to harm on the high seas are far less than if she were to stay at home, it almost impossible to list the number of things that can happen in normal daily life .

Whereas at sea those risks are dramatically reduced in number though the sea is the most dangerous force on the planet it is also a force that for the most part is generally harmless.

because i dont think it is adding more danger its just replacing some dangers with others, lets face it it cuts out the risk of being hit by a bus, being stabbed,raped, murdered,
But the likelihood of an individual encountering problems at sea(alone in a sail boat)far exceed the chances of them being run over, stabbed or raped. Surely you can see that?

I should think the odds of her coming to harm on the high seas are far less than if she were to stay at home, it almost impossible to list the number of things that can happen in normal daily life .

Whereas at sea those risks are dramatically reduced in number though the sea is the most dangerous force on the planet it is also a force that for the most part is generally harmless.

Why is it harmless for the most part?.. We're not talking about taking a skinny-dip here, we talking about being thousands of miles from land, freak storms appearing from nowhere, it's unforgiving out there.

Archived