14 year old girl sailing solo around world.. Jeeez!

Funny how my post wasn't a reply or directed at anyone specifically...but you were the only one to reply with the above.....did I scratch an itch?
Oh I see, so the comments you made were unrelated to the comments of the poster whom you responded to?.. what were your comments related to then Alien?

Posted by Alien

The thing is with you danot is you lack any vision in anything you post on. Danot's way is the only way come hell or high water (pardon the pun). It's no small mercy that this child was not born to you otherwise she would be under constant rule of danot's thumb. You suffocate discussion with your blinkered foresight and no doubt you suffocate those around you.

Wait a minute, so I'm blinkered and lack foresight because I disagree with you?. So what would I be if I agreed with you?, Would that make me intuitive and open-minded?. You must really hold yourself in high regard Alien.

Posted by Alien

You accuse the father of being a bad parent because he doesn't follow danot's parental code.

Hold on a minute. I've questioned his decision to allow his daughter to do this. At no point have I accused him of being a bad parent in general, Why would I?. Unlike you Alien, I don't need to build build straw men to topple.

Posted by Alien

Try asking the question that maybe this father gets good time with his daughter through a healthy lifestyle. Unlike yourself who sits at a computer all day and night. If you wish to pontificate on parenting please tell us what you do (with your kids rather than what we or others shouldn't) outside of being on a computer.

What are you on about?, when was I telling you and other parents what you should or shouldn't do with your kids?.. yet another straw man I see.

What's this?..Unlike myself who sits at a computer all day and night?.. would you say that I spend more time on here than you have Alien? Would you say over the last six months I've spent more time on here than you?.. I would be more than happy to check that for you Alien.

Posted by Alien

Btw..nobody has to insult you...you really manage that quite well just by typing.

I never said you insulted me. I said your comment was pathetic, which it was. So was your petty name calling.

As I implied earlier...this thread has nothing to do with the kid and parenting really. It's about the have and the have nots. My guess is you are a have not with no vision to move forward other than to try and lower others to your miserable level. Sickly rich spoilt kid or not, you won't get me on board because the alternative is sickly bitter...you do that well, keep chewing on it.
Yet another straw man. Are you actually capable of responding without having to resort to building straw men?. I understand your frustration, your overwhelming need to right all the time, but building straw men isn't going to fulfill that for you is it? your mistake is Alien is that your replies don't relate to anything that I have written, they only relate to your perceived point of view, which is, as I have already said pathetic.

You have completely lost the plot!

You imply that the parents are forcing their child to undertake the task, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I wish her the best of luck but I think we'll be hearing of her in the news in the next few months none of it bad I hope

I knew that this is exactly what you would say. Of course there isnt a comparison. What you missed was that I was trying to explain that every young person has or should have a dream. The dream for her and for my daughter is different, but it doesn't matter as if you stand in the way of a young persons dream, you stand in their path of inspiration.

Better to be doing something with their life than standing on street corners smoking pot and have nothing to aim for, nothing to wake up in the morning for and end up with nothing really to look forward to.

If you think my glass is completely empty you obviously dont read my posts.

Whether you think you can or you think you cant, you're probably right..

I'm not saying they shouldn't aspire to become something, I wouldn't want my kids to become binge drinking corner dwellers anymore than you would.

I'm saying that I would not allow my 14 year old child to undertake anything of this scale simply due to the dangers involved. However, If they were 18 there's very little I could do other than hope and pray that they have made the right decision, whereas if they were 14 I would be asking myself that question.. that I can do without.

I love it when people start topics like this as, after reading through them you realise that the reason that they started up the topic is often to deal with their own insecurities about something.

There was a thread started on something similar a while ago where the Father had discovered that his daughter had gone to a clinc to get some advice about contraception and had been offered and given some sort of implant without the consent of the parent..MMM.. I wonder if it is a Father thing??:huh:

It's certainly a father thing in my case.

Worth pointing out that there's lots of 14 year old mountain bikers, skiers, climbers and cavers, all of which activities are probably as or more dangerous than sailing, barring the freak event.
By barring the freak events you've eliminated the element of danger most associated with sailing, so it's hardly a true comparison is it.

Always the possibility of a young girl falling prey to pirates and kidnappers also.

I dont know the course she'll be sailing but areas in the vicinity of Somalia and along the Malaysian coast have been plagued with piracy as many already know.

I guess her father already knows that too I hope

Archived