14 year old girl sailing solo around world.. Jeeez!

Why wouldn't you let your 14 year old daughter do it by the way? What's the reasoning?
I don't have a 14 year old daughter, but if I did, I wouldn't leave her home alone for two weeks, let alone allow her to sail solo around the world for weeks on end.

That seems to indicate that this hypothetical child has been brought up wrongly then. Whilst being entirely alone without support is not a good idea an average 14 year should be able to stay out of problems with a neightbour keeping an eye on them whcih is what would be the case with Laura Dekker

Well I don't disagree per se. You just have different parenting values to myself.

I personally would have no problem leaving a hypothetical daughter at home for 2 weeks, as long as there is some kind of support and communication available.

That seems to indicate that this hypothetical child has been brought up wrongly then. Whilst being entirely alone without support is not a good idea an average 14 year should be able to stay out of problems with a neightbour keeping an eye on them whcih is what would be the case with Laura Dekker
I wasn't aware Laura Dekker's neighbour had agreed to chaperone her. Where did you hear that?

Archived