14 year old girl sailing solo around world.. Jeeez!

Have you any kids?

Has it occured to you that this kid may have fight, determination, will, experience, passion, resilience and not interested in the norm? "BB", "I'm a prat get me out of here" or heaven forbid "Jeremy Kyle". Maybe the parent isn't questioning why she shouldn't go, but rather why she should? Maybe he has confidence in her abilities..maybe he respects all those attributes, let alone respect her as an individual. Not all kids are knife wielding feral's. Some are bright, strong willed/minded.

She's probably safer on the seas as much as she is travelling down the M1 in a car. We all cop it at some time but mostly outside of having children we tend not to make individual marks on the world.

I say damn good luck to her. Personally I don't think she'll make it around (i sincerely hope she does)..but that's beside the point because I'm as well as you are, not important.

As for the parent..probably crapping their pants. It comes with having kids.

you have to bear in mind all teenagers are different it may be that your son is more the irresponsable end but some (and remeber girls emotionly develope faster than boys through teenage years) may be very mature.

at 15 i was living alone and replying on no one but my self if i had the chance to do something i really wanted to do just 1 year before hand i would of with out a doubt been mature and responsable enough to do.

Don't agree. They've all the time in the world to go on solo ventures when they're adults, no child of mine would be allowed, regardless of how mature they appear to be.

It's not that I don't support what she want's to achieve, I just don't agree with her being alone whilst she achieves it.

That's the whole point..she's not achieving if she has someone holding her hand.

Don't agree. They've all the time in the world to go on solo ventures when they're adults, no child of mine would be allowed, regardless of how mature they appear to be.

You would if your kid inspired confidence..maybe your kids don't inspire confidence?

its all very well saying that but how many people as adult now 'planned to do something that was a once in a life time activitie when they were older' but ended up with responsabilitys like work/partner/kids/morgage and then never got to do it!

Has it occured to you that this kid may have fight, determination, will, experience, passion, resilience and not interested in the norm? "BB", "I'm a prat get me out of here" or heaven forbid "Jeremy Kyle". Maybe the parent isn't questioning why she shouldn't go, but rather why she should? Maybe he has confidence in her abilities..maybe he respects all those attributes, let alone respect her as an individual. Not all kids are knife wielding feral's. Some are bright, strong willed/minded.

She's probably safer on the seas as much as she is travelling down the M1 in a car. We all cop it at some time but mostly outside of having children we tend not to make individual marks on the world.

I say damn good luck to her. Personally I don't think she'll make it around (i sincerely hope she does)..but that's beside the point because I'm as well as you are, not important.

As for the parent..probably crapping their pants. It comes with having kids.

Yes, I've considered all of that, but she's still only 14. Too young to be doing this.

That would be I suspect because you are raising children, not raising adults.

Archived