14 year old girl sailing solo around world.. Jeeez!

That's it..suffocate them. Raising children isn't about restricting them. You allow them based on who and what they are, coupled with ability.
I don't, I raise my kids to my ideals and values, if they don't like it then tough.

No, wouldn't allow any child of mine to venture off on their own like that, never in a million years.

Surely You can't deny that the amount of teens having kids is on the increase.

but since when did an increase equel the majority (most)

Conception rates among girls rose from 40.9 per 1,000 in 2006 for those aged 15-17, to 41.9 per 1,000 in 2007.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/feb/26/teenage-pregnancy-rise

41.9 out of 1000 mothers were 15-17 years thats only 0.41% of all births for a full year was from 15-17 year olds so like i said hardly most

but since when did an increase equel the majority (most)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/feb/26/teenage-pregnancy-rise

41.9 out of 1000 mothers were 15-17 years thats only 0.41% of all births for a full year was from 15-17 year olds so like i said hardly most

Yes, ok, I may have overstated with the "most". But it's still on the increase.

Anyhow, I'm shattered so I'm off to bed, will chat with more on this tomorrow. Night all:)

Would you support that child also?

Possibly so, but much younger than 14 and you are pushing it, no matter how mature they seem. At the same time, I fully agree with the below...

...I raise my kids to my ideals and values, if they don't like it then tough.

I't's not about them, it's about me.. I wouldn't allow it.

Well assuming that your kids are good at something, would you allow one to trot off on a solo around the world to progress at it?

Of course, her experience played a key role in the decision that was made, but we could apply that line of thought to anything couldn't we?

We've just started leaving our 14 year old lad at home should we go out, but we wouldn't leave him for days/weeks on end. At 16 yeah, wouldn't have a problem with that.

Well that's the bleedin obvious isn't it.

In this case yes...

Aha! You learn fast. :roll:

So you think time is the only factor when leaving your kids?..Then again it isn't about your kids is it...it's about you. My guess is your kids are probably more worried about you going out alone..I know I would be and I've only read posts by you.

That's because you don't trust him or have no confidence in him. Not all children are the same as your children, in the same way not all parents are like you. Are are you saying "if there not like me there must be something odd about them?"

Is that what I said Alien?:nono:

You didn't say "most" either...:hihi::hihi:

Hey! You raised the point that most kids at 16 getting pregnant as an excuse to bolster your theory that all kids at the age of 14 should be ruled by your iron fist mentality. And to be fair I don't even know why you used 16 year old pregnancy as an argument...it's irrelevant, unless your 16 yr old really is a girl and pregnant and it's coloured your view. I think you are of the old male mentality of thinking...if it's a girl protect at all costs, even to the detriment of her growth. You'd make a fine recruit to some of the conservative thinking in Afghanistan..:hihi:

I don't, I raise my kids to my ideals and values, if they don't like it then tough.

Well that's the bleedin "tough" obvious isn't it.

So you'd agree to your 14 year old camping out.. somewhere!, for weeks on end so long as they keep in contact?

Yes.

Mainly beacuse at the age of 14/15 (birthday was in the middle) I walked from coast to coast unsupported apart from the occasional phone call home when I found a phone box (no mobiles in those days). Took me 18 days.

Well that's the bleedin obvious isn't it.

In this case yes...

Aha! You learn fast. :roll:

It's a gift!:D

Posted by Alien

So you think time is the only factor when leaving your kids?..Then again it isn't about your kids is it...it's about you. My guess is your kids are probably more worried about you going out alone..I know I would be and I've only read posts by you.

That's because you don't trust him or have no confidence in him. Not all children are the same as your children, in the same way not all parents are like you. Are are you saying "if there not like me there must be something odd about them?"

There is some truth in that. I am cautious about leaving my son alone, partly due to his spontaneous lapses or common sense, but also because I have a niggling worry that something might happen. Also, parents are free to raise their kids how they please.

Posted by Alien

You didn't say "most" either...:hihi::hihi:

Hey! You raised the point that most kids at 16 getting pregnant as an excuse to bolster your theory that all kids at the age of 14 should be ruled by your iron fist mentality. And to be fair I don't even know why you used 16 year old pregnancy as an argument...it's irrelevant, unless your 16 yr old really is a girl and pregnant and it's coloured your view. I think you are of the old male mentality of thinking...if it's a girl protect at all costs, even to the detriment of her growth. You'd make a fine recruit to some of the conservative thinking in Afghanistan..:hihi:

This is another example of you failing to read posts Alien:rolleyes:.

That comment was made in response to someone claiming that it's better for a child do these things before they start their GCSEs then go on to university.

Well that's the bleedin "tough" obvious isn't it.

If you say so.

Call me old fashioned but what was her father thinking? She's a child.:rant:

http://m.theepochtimes.com/index.php?page=content&id=40379

I guess her father is thinking that he wants his daughter to experience life, adventure and to have some independance.

If he has confidence that his child can do it, and confidence in their ability to cope then good on him, sounds like he's done a sterling job.

Archived