14 year old girl sailing solo around world.. Jeeez!

Well of course i'm implying it. Do you have confidence in your kids? And if not at what point does your confidence come into question?

I wouldn't be confident in my kids sailing around the world but then again my kids don't sail...if they did and showed outstanding ability (as obvious this kid does) then my attitude would differ. If dad is sticking her in a boat because he just won the lottery..then yes, stooopid! My guess tho is she has lots of sailing experience and shown capable. If not then the dad and everyone involved needs to be reported to social services.

That's it! :thumbsup:

Yes.

Mainly beacuse at the age of 14/15 (birthday was in the middle) I walked from coast to coast unsupported apart from the occasional phone call home when I found a phone box (no mobiles in those days). Took me 18 days.

Were you by yourself?

I guess her father is thinking that he wants his daughter to experience life, adventure and to have some independance.

If he has confidence that his child can do it, and confidence in their ability to cope then good on him, sounds like he's done a sterling job.

He's probably a brilliant father, But that doesn't alter my view about his daughter being too young.

Specifically on sailing, I have to agree with danot.

I would be quite happy to leave a 14 y-o to camp without me, but sailing - a sport that even the very best can sometimes die at....

Exactly, I'd be a nervous wreck,(pardon the pun) there's absolutely no way I'd allow her.

He's probably a brilliant father, But that doesn't alter my view about his daughter being too young.

It seems that the judiciary in her own country don't subscribe to your view.

I'm guessing they evaluated her abilities and not her age in coming to their decision.

How would it be any different to the cost of rescueing a 14 year old who broke her leg on a skiing trip in the Alps then?

So you think there's no difference between plucking a girl with a broken leg off the side of a European mountain than having to go perhaps a few hundred miles out to sea and pull her off a boat in waves 20 or 30 feet high cost wise or time wise ? :loopy:

Archived