14 year old girl sailing solo around world.. Jeeez!

So you think there's no difference between plucking a girl with a broken leg off the side of a European mountain than having to go perhaps a few hundred miles out to sea and pull her off a boat in waves 20 or 30 feet high cost wise or time wise ? :loopy:

Oh look, bereft of a real argument so you resort to loopy insults....

Come back when you have a congent argument and less attitude please.

Well I have a lad of 14, and I wouldn't allow him to do it either. As big as he is, I wouldn't let him camp out on his own. I know the dangers involved are different, but the risks remain the same.

What risks???

There's lots of things they are incapable of doing, with or without me being there. There are also things that I wouldn't allow them yo do, and this happens to be one of them.

they should be capable at doing everything by the time they are 14 IMO.

I know that if necessary I could leave my 14 year old on her own and she would be completely able to look after herself. Obviously she hasn't had the training to sail around the world but she has slept on a mountain without a tent. It is amazing. Why deny children an opportunity.

There is no longer a record for being the youngest to sail solo around the world, so it's a completely pointless attempt. Whether she succeeds or not, she will not enter the record books.

Not pointless if she achieves her full potential though is it.

She obviously wants to prove to herself she can do it.

they should be capable at doing everything by the time they are 14 IMO.

I know that if necessary I could leave my 14 year old on her own and she would be completely able to look after herself. Obviously she hasn't had the training to sail around the world but she has slept on a mountain without a tent. It is amazing. Why deny children an opportunity.

Opportunity to do what?.. everything they are mature enough to comprehend?

You said...

in a thread started by you about somebody else's parenting skills.

Can you see your hypocrisy Danot?

Why is it hypocrisy?. everything I have said, reflects what I, myself, being a father, wouldn't allow my kids to do.

Just because I wouldn't allow my 14 year old child to undertake solo ventures, doesn't mean I'm criticizing the fathers parenting skills. Stop being ridiculous.

Oh look, bereft of a real argument so you resort to loopy insults....

Come back when you have a congent argument and less attitude please.

Are you an authority on rescue operations? I'll admit I'm not but it seems a no brainer when you take into consideration the issues involved in airlifting a casualty from a mountain side which is probably not that easy or straight forward either with that of locating a distress call from a small yacht hundreds of miles out to sea, launching rescue vessels and choppers or search planes to guide the rescue ships to the spot and then having to get the girl off the yacht. Do you have any idea the size of ocean waves during a storm?

Why is it hypocrisy?. everything I have said, reflects what I, myself, being a father, wouldn't allow my kids to do.

Just because I wouldn't allow my 14 year old child to undertake solo ventures, doesn't mean I'm criticizing the fathers parenting skills. Stop being ridiculous.

So what is the purpose of your thread then?

Archived