Toby Foster and Harrow Halal meat

If you can stomach it, have a look on Youtube at abbatoirs stuff. It's bloody awful. As I said earlier IMO all slaughter, halal or other means should always involve stunning the animals before they are killed.

Can't help thinking though if people are genuinely concerned about the welfare of animals, then they wouldn't eat meat full stop.

I've heard it said that abattoirs had glass walls we'd all be vegetarians.

Meat is meat! Who gives a toss how it was killed?!

We are top of the food chain aren't we? The main problem IMO is how it is raised & the quality of it's life. When it's time is up does it really matter if it is stunned first? A bullet in the head is a pretty quick painless death surely?

When it's time is up does it really matter if it is stunned first? A bullet in the head is a pretty quick painless death surely?

Ironically the 'captive bolt' is a cartridge that's shot into the brain and is designed to incapacitate the animal, without killing it-that's the conventional means of stunning mammalian livestock.

Ironically the 'captive bolt' is a cartridge that's shot into the brain and is designed to incapacitate the animal, without killing it-that's the conventional means of stunning mammalian livestock.

As long as it is killed, it doesn't matter to me.

The type that penetrates the brain is only used by Anton Chigurh these days.

So am I right in believing that your sole objection is because a group of people are deriving a benefit from something you could do anyway-ie eat halal meat?

It reminds me of a time I travelled to Rome on my own, I had a window seat on the plane next to a bloke who was travelling with his son. They had been separated in the booking and he asked the person sitting next to his son, if they'd mind swapping with him so they could be together, he refused. I offered my place and swapped with the son, it was no loss to me, but it was of great benefit to them.

The halal meat argument is the same, it isn't about forcing people to do something they wouldn't do otherwise, we can all eat halal meat, save for Jewish folks I think, and anyone who has sincere objections should be catered for and offered a suitable alternative.

It's a much more cost/logistically effective alternative than providing halal meat only to halal eaters.

Ps..no multi-quotes h2m, you'll be pleased to see ;)

Assuming people are always going to eat meat, shouldn't the first concern be to cause the least suffering possible to the animal?

Assuming people are always going to eat meat, shouldn't the first concern be to cause the least suffering possible to the animal?

Unfortunately, the first concern in the west is profit. That is why we have such abominable conditions for our factory produced animals and less than humane slaughter methods.

Archived