Toby Foster and Harrow Halal meat

Halal or non-halal meat, it makes no difference to me, it's all delicious! :)

However, I know that Muslims like their meat to be Halal but don't know why.

Why is it important? What's the history behind it?

Can anyone enlighten me (sorry to sound dumb, I'm in no way, shape or form religious so am serverly under educated on such subjects!)

Thanks

Here's a link to the Halal Food Authority I found yesterday which makes interesting reading:

http://www.halalfoodauthority.co.uk/definitionhalal.html

Ps: Also read their view on the methods to incapacitate/pre-stun livestock, many of which Muslims believe are inhumane-the captive bolt to the head for example.

Here's a link to the Halal Food Authority I found yesterday which makes interesting reading:

http://www.halalfoodauthority.co.uk/definitionhalal.html

Ps: Also read their view on the methods to incapacitate/pre-stun livestock, many of which Muslims believe are inhumane-the captive bolt to the head for example.

Thanks for that Boyfriday.

So it's the method used in the Qur'an and it's believed to be the best way for the animal (to cause the least suffering because the animal must be alive & healthy prior to slaughter). But I still don't know why the animal cannot be killed by other means. I know the blood needs to be drained as blood is forbidden but this could still be done after another method of killing couldn't it? Is it purely just following religious scripture??? :confused:

Thanks for that Boyfriday.

So it's the method used in the Qur'an and it's believed to be the best way for the animal (to cause the least suffering because the animal must be alive & healthy prior to slaughter). But I still don't know why the animal cannot be killed by other means. I know the blood needs to be drained as blood is forbidden but this could still be done after another method of killing couldn't it? Is it purely just following religious scripture??? :confused:

I'm no expert BettyBooHoo, I've just picked up what I've learnt over the weekend, but apparently in all forms of slaughter the animal should be alive after the stunning, it's then suspended by it's 'feet' and 'stuck', which means it has its carotid and jugular veins severed, whilst the heart is still beating, this obviously helps pump blood out of the carcass-it isn't just a religious or Muslim thing, it's standard slaughterhouse practise, that keeps the meat in the best condition and makes the butchery easier.

The anti halal issue seems to surround the issue of the pre-stunning. Muslims believe that there is a possibility that this can kill the animal, prior to the slaughter itself, so they only use methods that 'stun-to-stun'-there exists a possibility with some other methods (gas, cartridge bolt) that the animal is inadvertently killed by the stunning, so these are unacceptable.

I think it's fair to say that Muslim countries don't employ any pre-stunning methods, as do some non Muslim countries.

However, as you will have seen on the HFA website, the issue isn't whether stunning is acceptable, but that the animal is alive when it has it's throat cut, so pre stunning, intended to stun, rather than kill is perfectly acceptable.

The other important point is that the slaughter is supervised by someone in the Muslim faith qualified to do it, and they recite some religious mumbo jumbo at the time.

My only issue is that the animal is pre-stunned prior to slaughter, assuming that's done I don't really care what anyone says to a dead animal, the meat is just the same.

I'm no expert BettyBooHoo, I've just picked up what I've learnt over the weekend, but apparently in all forms of slaughter the animal should be alive after the stunning, it's then suspended by it's 'feet' and 'stuck', which means it has its carotid and jugular veins severed, whilst the heart is still beating, this obviously helps pump blood out of the carcass-it isn't just a religious or Muslim thing, it's standard slaughterhouse practise, that keeps the meat in the best condition and makes the butchery easier.

The anti halal issue seems to surround the issue of the pre-stunning. Muslims believe that there is a possibility that this can kill the animal, prior to the slaughter itself, so they only use methods that 'stun-to-stun'-there exists a possibility with some other methods (gas, cartridge bolt) that the animal is inadvertently killed by the stunning, so these are unacceptable.

I think it's fair to say that Muslim countries don't employ any pre-stunning methods, as do some non Muslim countries.

However, as you will have seen on the HFA website, the issue isn't whether stunning is acceptable, but that the animal is alive when it has it's throat cut, so pre stunning, intended to stun, rather than kill is perfectly acceptable.

The other important point is that the slaughter is supervised by someone in the Muslim faith qualified to do it, and they recite some religious mumbo jumbo at the time.

My only issue is that the animal is pre-stunned prior to slaughter, assuming that's done I don't really care what anyone says to a dead animal, the meat is just the same.

I'd agree, so long as the animal doesn't go through any unnecessary suffering, meat is meat to me. I guess it's like a ritual then? Either way it's all yummy!!!! :love:

I'd agree, so long as the animal doesn't go through any unnecessary suffering, meat is meat to me. I guess it's like a ritual then? Either way it's all yummy!!!! :love:

LOL, yes, I guess it is like a ritual..like my Friday night special biriani ritual :hihi:

Ps: it's worth pointing out that not all halal meat in the UK is pre stunned, along with some other religious groups, such as followers of the Jewish faith, they're granted a dispensation, however in practise in order to sell their meat to wider audiences they do, as the purchasing teams in public bodies and supermarkets will insist livestock is pre stunned and certificated as such.

LOL, yes, I guess it is like a ritual..like my Friday night special biriani ritual :hihi:

Ps: it's worth pointing out that not all halal meat in the UK is pre stunned, along with some other religious groups, such as followers of the Jewish faith, they're granted a dispensation, however in practise in order to sell their meat to wider audiences they do, as the purchasing teams in public bodies and supermarkets will insist livestock is pre stunned and certificated as such.

then is it really halal?

then is it really halal?

Who cares? I don't and if Muslims eat it then presumably it must be acceptable to them.

If you're interested there's a lot of information on the Halal Food Authority website, the key issue for them appears to be the fact that the animal is alive when slaughtered, there's no prohibition on stunning it first.

Ha ha! And my Saturday night Bhuna ritual with an ice cold Lager! Mmmmm! :love:

Who cares? I don't and if Muslims eat it then presumably it must be acceptable to them.

If you're interested there's a lot of information on the Halal Food Authority website, the key issue for them appears to be the fact that the animal is alive when slaughtered, there's no prohibition on stunning it first.

fair enough, nobody would want animals to suffer, regardless of faith.

Do you ever feel like you are out of place in todays Britain? It seems to me you have lost touch with reality and the country. This is not a Christian country anymore its a multi cultural multi faith country. Most Muslims have been in your country for generations and do not regard it as only your country but ours. We are established here now and Islamaphobic racists like you cannot move us. The NF have already tried this back in the 70s and 80s when the communities were less established and they failed and you are sat at your computer in 2010 out of touch with reality. You should stick to what you know best sitting on the bench in your council estate getting ****** and eating kebabs.

Go back to the country you belong. I'm sick of Muslims expressing what they want in England. They shouldn't even have a choice! It should be our way or no way. What is England coming to?

You might need to take a lilo though :)

Archived