Toby Foster and Harrow Halal meat

Does your imagination only extend to the boundaries of your local area? How close to home does animal cruelty have to be to be wrong? If genocide occurs on the other side of the world,do we need not concern ourselves?

This is not a thread about animal cruelty, it's a thread about a Halal only scheme in Harrow primary schools.

Firstly do you think an animal does not feel pain when being stunned? Have you ever been stunned? Maybe you want to try it before assuming it is more humane.

Secondly Nine primary schools are already part of the scheme serving only halal meat, now the others will be given the chance to adopt the scheme. It's up to the primary school whether it adopts the scheme or not, the council is not forcing any school to serve only halal meat.

The daily mail claims there has been outrage as a result of this when there has been no such thing. Harrow is a very multi cultural and multi faith area and generally accomodates all religions and cultures as best it can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10884787

This is not a thread about animal cruelty, it's a thread about a Halal only scheme in Harrow primary schools.

Firstly do you think an animal does not feel pain when being stunned? Have you ever been stunned? Maybe you want to try it before assuming it is more humane.

Secondly Nine primary schools are already part of the scheme serving only halal meat, now the others will be given the chance to adopt the scheme. It's up to the primary school whether it adopts the scheme or not, the council is not forcing any school to serve only halal meat.

The daily mail claims there has been outrage as a result of this when there has been no such thing. Harrow is a very multi cultural and multi faith area and generally accomodates all religions and cultures as best it can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10884787

Boxers are stunned regularly 'uppercut'. However having their throat cut and being hung upside down to slowly bleed to death is an altogether different matter.

People are outraged including me, partly by the people who want to inflict this outrage on other living things, and also by the fact their misguided understanding of a dead animal takes priority over their consideration for others.

A dead animal that has been mauled by other animals and left to rot, and hasn't been cleaned up by vultures needs leaving well alone.

Boxers are stunned regularly 'uppercut'. However having their throat cut and being hung upside down to slowly bleed to death is an altogether different matter.
I'm afraid I'm repeating myself, all livestock is hung upside down and 'stuck'-has its throat cut, that isn't exclusive to halal meat.

People are outraged including me, partly by the people who want to inflict this outrage on other living things, and also by the fact their misguided understanding of a dead animal takes priority over their consideration for others.

So you better become a vegetarian, because the meat you're currently eating has been hung upside down and had its throat cut.

A dead animal that has been mauled by other animals and left to rot, and hasn't been cleaned up by vultures needs leaving well alone.

I don't think Harrow was ever considering this as an option for its school children.

Muslims have got the wrong interpretation of what a dead animal is. A dead animal might be one you see lying in the road, you don't know how long it has been there and it might be full of maggots and/or disease.

I think carly83 has previously explained the reasons why the animal has to be alive post stunning, the cardiac activity helps clear the flesh of blood.

This is something conventional slaughterhouses aim for too, because a blood laden carcass is harder to butcher and produces poorer quality meat.

Which is better, if we can say that in this context, for the animal which as I keep saying should be your first concern.
Personally, if I was a cow and was able to make the decision, I'd prefer to be stunned by electrodes rather than have a bolt being fired through my skull and into my brain.

So you agree then that animals should be stunned?

I said so in post 96, and several times since..

Finally, just for the record, I'm against the slaughter of livestock without pre stunning, but 'halal' and 'pre-stunning' aren't mutually exclusive.

Stoning unfaithful wives to death ?

No one is allowed to do this.

Incidentally, the koran makes no mention of stoning. It is the Old Testament where people and animals get stoned for blasphemy, unfaithfulness, disobeying parents or breaking the Sabbath.

So if all meat has to be stunned in the UK, is any meat Halal?

All meat with, the exception of Halal or Kosher, has to be stunned.

As is often the case, the religious are granted permission to be exempt from the normal rules.

But, in order to gain more market share, manufacturers of Halal products have developed a new product where the animals are stunned prior to slaughter. I think somebody referred to this as Halal Lite earlier, which I think is a useful label. Some Muslims think this is haram, whereas the majority couldn't give a toss.

As an atheist I think that it's annoying that religion is once again allowed exceptions, and gets to put it's nose into affairs where it has no reason to. If Christians/Muslims/Jews/Scientologists/Pastafarians/Whaterver want blessings said to their deity over their food, then they should do it in their own time and with their own money.

Archived