Toby Foster and Harrow Halal meat

So if all meat has to be stunned in the UK, is any meat Halal?

It doesn't all have to be stunned catz, there exist religious dispensations for Jews & Muslims, but the significant issue here is where it's sold for consumption in schools, obviously the purchasing authority are in a position to dictate the terms of its supply and most will insist on pre-stunning, Sheffield certainly do.

Halal doesn't forbid pre-stunning, it just requires that the animal is alive when it's slaughtered-it doesn't have to be conscious. Most conventional meat is slaughtered in this way too ie-slaughter of an unconscious animal.

I'm afraid I'm repeating myself, all livestock is hung upside down and 'stuck'-has its throat cut, that isn't exclusive to halal meat.

So you better become a vegetarian, because the meat you're currently eating has been hung upside down and had its throat cut.

I don't think Harrow was ever considering this as an option for its school children.

Precisely.

ALL meat, regardless of how it is slaughtered has the blood drained from it. That is why halal is unnecessary.

Now do you understand.

Did you mean to write that? :) Surely all animals are alive until they're slaughtered?

It's a difficult semantics game, truman! Theoretically, the 'slaughter' is done by 'sticking'-slitting the carotid artery and jugular vein. Stunning isnt supposed to kill the animal, but it still has it's throat cut if that happens..so I guess what I mean by 'slaughter' is the process of having its throat cut.

All meat with, the exception of Halal or Kosher, has to be stunned.

As is often the case, the religious are granted permission to be exempt from the normal rules.

But, in order to gain more market share, manufacturers of Halal products have developed a new product where the animals are stunned prior to slaughter. I think somebody referred to this as Halal Lite earlier, which I think is a useful label. Some Muslims think this is haram, whereas the majority couldn't give a toss.

As an atheist I think that it's annoying that religion is once again allowed exceptions, and gets to put it's nose into affairs where it has no reason to. If Christians/Muslims/Jews/Scientologists/Pastafarians/Whaterver want blessings said to their deity over their food, then they should do it in their own time and with their own money.

I agree. That is why I say grace before a meal.

Precisely.

ALL meat, regardless of how it is slaughtered has the blood drained from it. That is why halal is unnecessary.

Now do you understand.

God is not happy with you Grahame, You have been eating animals which have not had all the blood drained PROPERLY*, also eating dead animals is forbidden in the bible. The fire of hell is raging.

I strongly advise you to eat only halal as it's the only method that drains all the blood. Live by the book, don't pick and choose bits that suit you!

Precisely.

Now do you understand.

No, I dont understand your point, you're simply going back on what you've said previously, you gave the impression that only Muslims do the throat slitting business.

However your point is still incorrect, because it isn't just the bleeding of the carcass that makes meat halal.

I asked you previously what makes normal water holy for Christians. Muslim slaughtermen perform a similar ritual with animals that they've killed.

No, I dont understand your point, you're simply going back on what you've said previously, you gave the impression that only Muslims do the throat slitting business.

However your point is still incorrect, because it isn't just the bleeding of the carcass that makes meat halal.

I asked you previously what makes normal water holy for Christians. Muslim slaughtermen perform a similar ritual with animals that they've killed.

Let me explain in words of one syllable.

All animals are slaughtered in the same way and they are all drained of blood.

The difference is that Muslims do not allow pre-stunning so the animal is conscious for several minutes while it slowly dies feeling all the pain while it hangs upside down-dying.

A more humane method is to stun the animal first.

Of course you understand. You also promote the less humane Islamic procedure.

Let me explain in words of one syllable.

All animals are slaughtered in the same way and they are all drained of blood.

The difference is that Muslims do not allow pre-stunning so the animal is conscious for several minutes while it slowly dies feeling all the pain while it hangs upside down-dying.

A more humane method is to stun the animal first.

Of course you understand. You also promote the less humane Islamic procedure.

A lot of those words have more than one syllable!

Archived