Toby Foster and Harrow Halal meat

I pointed out the fact stunning can cause death many, many posts ago, probably amongst my contributions you dismissed as 'twaddle'.

I went on to explain how Bristol University had created a device that stuns without any risk of death..do you remember scoffing at he phrase 'return to pasture'? You obviously missed the point, even after I explained it to you..the test of the device included stunning an animal, which then recovered and went back to grazing. It's unlikely one on the receiving end of a captive bolt could enjoy the rolling pastures again.

So stunning with these electrodes is permissible, because there is no chance of death with a healthy animal. Obviously there will be hardcore Muslims who that wont be good enough for, but we're not talking about them, as they won't be in a position to supply halal meat into schools!

It only makes it 'illegal' if it kills the animal, or there's a high risk of death-there's no mention that the animal has to be conscious, just alive.

No it isn't, read the link to the HFA website I've posted more than once.

That's quite right, which is why they dont use the captive bolt to stun the livestock, they use electrodes.

..and you're still trying to maintain this is humane and best for animal welfare?

I agree, whenever it doesn't include pre-stunning.

Unlike the captive bolt, that sometimes has to be administered twice, in your words?

We're talking here about pre-stunned halal meat supplied to schools, not livestock that is killed without pre-stunning, we all agree that is wrong, but no one is being forced to eat it, which is the drift of the OP.

I'm afraid you're still wrong, as I and others have offered evidence that confirms pre-stunning isn't illegal under Islamic law, even the Halal Food Authority confirms so, and they're in a good position to know, this point has been raised in direct response to your posts many times. In any event, Muslims all over the world are eating pre-stunned meat, and that's the only test that's relevant.

If Muslims are eating pre-stunned meat it is not halal.

Why worry about it then Grahame? We're only concerned that it's being stunned prior to slaughter.

We worry about it because Muslims and Jews insist they carry on slaughtering animals in the traditional way without pre-stunning the animal first in order to ensure it is halal.

We worry about it because Muslims and Jews insist they carry on slaughtering animals in the traditional way without pre-stunning the animal first in order to ensure it is halal.

No, I meant why worry about whether Muslims are eating proper halal meat or not?

Surely if you dont believe that pre-stunned meat is 'proper halal', then the fact they eat it suggests they're more flexible than we're generally led to believe.

No, I meant why worry about whether Muslims are eating proper halal meat or not?

Surely if you dont believe that pre-stunned meat is 'proper halal', then the fact they eat it suggests they're more flexible than we're generally led to believe.

Let's hope so, and lets hope for some good news regarding future slaughter methods. :)

All meat with, the exception of Halal or Kosher, has to be stunned.

As is often the case, the religious are granted permission to be exempt from the normal rules.

But, in order to gain more market share, manufacturers of Halal products have developed a new product where the animals are stunned prior to slaughter. I think somebody referred to this as Halal Lite earlier, which I think is a useful label. Some Muslims think this is haram, whereas the majority couldn't give a toss.

As an atheist I think that it's annoying that religion is once again allowed exceptions, and gets to put it's nose into affairs where it has no reason to. If Christians/Muslims/Jews/Scientologists/Pastafarians/Whaterver want blessings said to their deity over their food, then they should do it in their own time and with their own money.

we do not live in an athiest dictatorship well atleast not yet thankfully. People are not allowed to slaughter their own animals in the uk it has to be done by the slaughter houses which is why the rules are in place to protect the rights of religiouse minorities.

we do not live in an athiest dictatorship well atleast not yet thankfully. People are not allowed to slaughter their own animals in the uk it has to be done by the slaughter houses which is why the rules are in place to protect the rights of religiouse minorities.

Isn't that also why rules are in place for the protection of animals and their welfare?

For those of you who think eating halal is ok, perhaps you should delve into this disgusting barbaric slaughter. Animals can take up to 10 mins or even longer to die. After being mechanically turned upside down in a crate and having had their throats slit whilst fully conscious they are then hoisted onto hooks through their hind legs and left upside down to bleed to death. Oh and if the animal will not go into the crate they shove a steel rod into its rectum to make it arch it's back, so they can then get it in the crate!

For those of you who are against it, perhaps you may like to sign the on-line petition to ban religious slaughter in the uk. You will find this on the gopetition website.

For those of you who think eating halal is ok, perhaps you should delve into this disgusting barbaric slaughter. Animals can take up to 10 mins or even longer to die. After being mechanically turned upside down in a crate and having had their throats slit whilst fully conscious they are then hoisted onto hooks through their hind legs and left upside down to bleed to death. Oh and if the animal will not go into the crate they shove a steel rod into its rectum to make it arch it's back, so they can then get it in the crate!

For those of you who are against it, perhaps you may like to sign the on-line petition to ban religious slaughter in the uk. You will find this on the gopetition website.

I suppose there is no truly humane way of slaughter, but it certernly shouldnt be a religious ceremony. Leftists in this country tolerate it in the name of multiculturalism but hey, the subject has been done to death on here, we just go round in circles.

How do you think conventionally slaughtered livestock is killed?

Archived