Toby Foster and Harrow Halal meat

So you've become a vegetarian retep because of your concern for animal welfare?

Not at all, death is death, but when it comes i'd like it to be as painless and stress free as possible, don't you think an animal deserves the same rights.

I see you're still on the brown tongue diet.:hihi:

What are you laying back and taking? Pork chops?

no, im not so keen on pork chops :D

the fact that Halal meat will no doubt be the only types of meat you can eat here soon! I am a meat eater and always have been, prob always will be. But i dont like the way the meat is slaughtered. I have a right to CHOOSE what i eat and also what my child eats. Why should our traditions and methods be changed???

no, im not so keen on pork chops :D

the fact that Halal meat will no doubt be the only types of meat you can eat here soon! I am a meat eater and always have been, prob always will be. But i dont like the way the meat is slaughtered. I have a right to CHOOSE what i eat and also what my child eats. Why should our traditions and methods be changed???

Yes of course you have the right to choose and all meat should be clearly labelled whether it's halal, kosher, free range or commercially farmed (notice they don't tell you where the chicken your childrens nuggets comes from, yet that doesn't seem to upset people the way halal meat does ;)).

Incidentally what are your concerns about how halal meat is slaughtered and what what do you know about the traditions and methods of killing conventional meat that you feel comfortable about?

Not at all, death is death, but when it comes i'd like it to be as painless and stress free as possible, don't you think an animal deserves the same rights.
It's a moot point, cattle in the UK is killed by a captive bolt, it's been done to death (pardon the pun) on this thread so I'll not go over it again, which can hardly be described as humane.

Over 90% of halal meat that enters the food chain is pre-stunned by electrodes, it's hardly humane either but is it any less so than the captive bolt fired into a prone animal's brain..come off it!

I watched a programme recently about women doing 'mens' jobs on C4, it included a scene where a group of Brits had gone cattle herding in Brazil, and were expected to eat meat that the cowboys had slaughtered by quickly drawing a knife across its jugular vein, they had the utmost respect for the animal and it's demise was almost noble, rather than the utilitarian factory farming we're more used to over here.

I see you're still on the brown tongue diet.:hihi:

..and you're on the forked tongue one ;)

Muslims are, for a few more generations at least, a minority group in the UK. Why then should their primitive beliefs be forced upon the rest of us?

I object as a matter of principle to shops supplying meat which has been slaughtered in a fashion purely to pander to a minority group who demand satisfaction of their bizarre middle-age whims, which do not rightly belong in this century and certainly not in this country.

The tail should not be wagging the dog.

I object as a matter of principle to shops supplying meat which has been slaughtered in a fashion purely to pander to a minority group who demand satisfaction of their bizarre middle-age whims, which do not rightly belong in this century and certainly not in this country.

The tail should not be wagging the dog.

No it isnt pandering to a minority group, since there are no restrictions on whether we can eat pre stunned halal meat or not, so halal meat panders to the majority, although I agree that it should be properly labelled.

Do as we do, only buy meat from farm shops (coppice), its a lot better quality than the rubbish from the supermarkets and it goes a lot further as it is not injected with water and starch.

It's also more expensive, so will never replace the mass produced meat that most shoppers want to buy.

I hope those opposed to halal meat are all vegetarians or vegans who are deeply concerned with animal welfare. I'm sure you all only buy free range eggs and free range meat.

For what it's worth I think that the practice of halal is cruel, but no crueller than keeping chickens in small cages, or pigs in boxes inside.

Archived