Toby Foster and Harrow Halal meat

There is a British way of doing it, and Halal and Kosher and so on, arn't it. Let them slaughter their animals in their own way in the countries they come from, but here it shouldn't be alowed.

So, back a thousand or so years ago, when we slaughtered the animals for food, we didn't cut their throats, then?

I can hardly see someone picking a cow or even a lamb up, and "necking" it like you might do with a chicken.

I presume back in the day, Anakin skywalker lent us his lightsabre, and they zapped the livestock with that?

So, back a thousand or so years ago, when we slaughtered the animals for food, we didn't cut their throats, then?

I can hardly see someone picking a cow or even a lamb up, and "necking" it like you might do with a chicken.

I presume back in the day, Anakin skywalker lent us his lightsabre, and they zapped the livestock with that?

Come on Plain Talker forget "a thousand years ago", we're talking about today, and today there is a certern way of doing things in this country - a British way, that all newcomers should have to abide by.

You and me both know that the problem here is not meat is it?

I don't know, who's creating the problem?

Halal meat in schools is no different from conventional meat, all the smokescreens and red herrings about stunning and throat slitting are created by people who have a certain agenda.

Why aren't they arguing for only organic, non battery chickens being supplied to schools? Or only wild fish rather than farmed?

Come on Plain Talker forget "a thousand years ago", we're talking about today, and today there is a certern way of doing things in this country - a British way, that all newcomers should have to abide by.

ok, forget a thousand years ago, how were the livestock killed five hundred years ago? wouldn't have been by slitting their throat, would it?

what about a hundred years ago? same?

fifty years ago? I could swear that the same technique of throat-slitting is/ was used universally in abattoirs.

It's only recently (last two or three decades?) that the captive bolt or electrical stunner has been introduced. Previously the captive bolt only tended to be used on horses, by the Knacker man.

....most immigrants to this country have historical experience of British people exporting the 'British ways' of doing things.

No, its about that. An immigrant population should assimilate itself to the ways of their host country.
OK if you are going to be anal about that then explain how it is a host country for those who were born here and have as much right to choose how they live as much as you? People who convert or just choose to live a certain lifestyle such as vegetarians, should they be forced to eat what you choose to eat based on what your limited experience tells you is the British way?

OK if you are going to be anal about that then explain how it is a host country for those who were born here and have as much right to choose how they live as much as you? People who convert or just choose to live a certain lifestyle such as vegetarians, should they be forced to eat what you choose to eat based on what your limited experience tells you is the British way?

I'll just slightly correct that last sentence for you... ;)

based on what your VERY limited experience tells you is the British way?

....most immigrants to this country have historical experience of British people exporting the 'British ways' of doing things.
what, the criminality of looting the resources of countries they invaded you mean? Naah, I don't think the immigrants are doing that on quite the scale the British robbed India or other parts of the world they colonised.

what, the criminality of looting the resources of countries they invaded you mean? Naah, I don't think the immigrants are doing that on quite the scale the British robbed India or other parts of the world they colonised.

LOL, I wasn't really talking about the more sensational stuff, but British people who have moved abroad, have quite understandably wanted to retain the aspects of their culture that they hold dear, the same could be said for most nationalities.

The phrase 'when in Rome' is often trotted out, yet I can't really think of many cultures who embrace that entirely, and we British certainly wouldn't be amongst them.

Archived