Pubs down the Moor - help please

If it was quite a new 'plasticky' pub (then), although not actually on The Moor, it sounds like The Whetstone.

I'm sure it must have been the Whetstone, a purpose built Tetley's managed house .... I worked there for 5 yr from when it first opened for Eileen and Tom Walsh who came from the Steel Inn on Harborough Avenue.

I'm sure it must have been the Whetstone, a purpose built Tetley's managed house .... I worked there for 5 yr from when it first opened for Eileen and Tom Walsh who came from the Steel Inn on Harborough Avenue.

hiyathe only two pubs i remember on the moor were the pump tavern and the travellers rest opposite fitzwilliam st, but during the war there was another i remember on the junction of matilda st and the moor it was a prefabricated pub

don't know its name as i were only a youngster at the time.have you read the book "a pub on every corner".

hiyathe only two pubs i remember on the moor were the pump tavern and the travellers rest opposite fitzwilliam st, but during the war there was another i remember on the junction of matilda st and the moor it was a prefabricated pub

don't know its name as i were only a youngster at the time.have you read the book "a pub on every corner".

What about the Bricklayers Arms, wasn't that 'just off' the Moor?

Back again Crookesey sorry dont know Harry Dukes i remember a couple of friends of mine that did live on the Square Trevor ( Pedro ) Humberstone and Brazilian Des Defraites (rip) big Des was a character well known around Sheffield i hung around with Des in the late 60s early 70s when we went in the Domino pub on the Broomhall flats together also i worked the doors with him for a while at the Kay Gee Bee night club but that would be in the late 70s under the old Abbeydale cinema do you remember the old chippy on South st behind the Travs pub top chippy that one.

hiya, reading about the travellers i just remembered at the back over a bit of spare land at the side was an old building that a tailor had and in the 50s would churn out the dogtooth jackets with velvet collar for 6 pounds each cant remember his name.

Both of these were a long way off the Moor.

No they weren't - Matilda Street is directly off the Moor and they were just other side of dual carriageway, hardly a long way. I used to walk from Sidney street to Moor which is twice distance, do some shopping, and get back in my lunch break of 45 minutes

No they weren't - Matilda Street is directly off the Moor and they were just other side of dual carriageway, hardly a long way. I used to walk from Sidney street to Moor which is twice distance, do some shopping, and get back in my lunch break of 45 minutes

The thread title is pubs down the Moor. No way were either of these pubs down the Moor. To get to the Matilda from the Moor you had to cross five roads. The Cossack was even further from the Moor.

I would think it would most likely be the Hermitage I always referred to it as right at the bottom of the Moor. It was much easier to get to in the early 70s before the new buildings and roads were built. It was also very popular for a girls night out in the 70s.