Pubs down the Moor - help please

Does this help its THE Travellers resthttp://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s00477&pos=1&action=zoom&id=4401Ref No: s00477

Title: Traveller's Rest, Nos 141-143, The Moor. Also known as Billy Lees after one of its landlords

The thread title is pubs down the Moor. No way were either of these pubs down the Moor. To get to the Matilda from the Moor you had to cross five roads. The Cossack was even further from the Moor.

as i remember the cossack was down howard st just higher up from the howard hotel and was closer to the midland station than the moor, as the travelers having stables i can't see that somehow the one i think was meant was the one at the end of button lane and moorhead this one did have stables a long time ago,did any body remember the pub the pefab type at moorhead i think that after the war its licence was transferred to the other side of town as this prefab was only a stopgap.

The one pub that I miss that was on the Moor is Pump Tavern. Used to sell John Smiths ales and a meal could be had it was a L-shaped room, the walls had pictures of old Sheffield on them. Why couldnt they build round it? The Pump was better than the Moorfoot Tavern which has now changed hands. R.I.P Pump Tavern.

The one pub that I miss that was on the Moor is Pump Tavern. Used to sell John Smiths ales and a meal could be had it was a L-shaped room, the walls had pictures of old Sheffield on them. Why couldnt they build round it? The Pump was better than the Moorfoot Tavern which has now changed hands. R.I.P Pump Tavern.

When it first opened (early seventies?) they did fantastic liver and onion bread cakes.

The Pump Tavern was a Tetley's managed house in the 60's and 70's and was quite well respected for food, although I did hear horror stories how 'aunty pump' used to sit there smoking, dropping ash into the food whilst making the sandwiches.

The Pump Tavern was at a guess a 1950s or 1960s building the way it was designed. I started to go in there about three years before it closed in 2007 I think it came down a year after such a shame. The first Pump Tavern was on the Moor itself unlike its replacement that was down a side street. Iv seen a photo of the first Pump Tavern looked very old it went for shops when they were rebuilding the Moor. Another pub which was before my time was Travellers Rest what a grand building it was but got knocked down.

Edited by iron sky

My Mother, now in her 90s, says that in the 1920, the Travellers was run by Lord Billie Lee, a former music hall act who, after he retired from the stage, became a artists agent.

When the acts were working at the Palace Attercliffe or the Empire etc many would lodge at the Travellers. She says that Jack Johnson the former Heavyweight champion stayed there and that Lord Billie was in regular contact with New York gangster Owney Madden, (played by Bob Hoskins in the film "The Cotton Club") and used to send him copies of the Yorkshire Post. (Owney originated from Leeds and was a pigeon fancier).

She has photos of the Travellers with Lord Billie and some of his waiters and barstaff, it shows aspidistras and a very clean quite posh pub.